This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

In honor of Valentine’s Day last week, it’s time to talk about Book Lovers by Emily Henry. At its core, it’s a quintessential rom-com combined into 300 short pages. It’s a book about book lovers, for book lovers.

Now, for a brief synopsis (no worries, there are no spoilers ahead!). Nora is at the top of her game, a top publishing agent in New York City. To put it simply, her career is her life. Plus her sister Libby, of course. So, when Libby invites Nora on a sisterly getaway, Nora has to go. She leaves behind the big apple for a small town, where there’s the definite possibility of running into an apple farmer. Or any farmer for that matter. Cue the montage of sunshine and rolling hills.

But wait, I want to assure you. This isn’t the rom com that we’ve all come to expect: girl leaves the city, drawn by the allure of the smalltown charm. No, Nora won’t give up on the life she’s built that easily. Not even for Charlie …

The reason that I’m talking about this book now is because it’s the perfect read for Valentine’s Day week. Or anytime in February. Or March.

It’s an important read because, although the book is obviously filled with adorable meet cutes and swoon-worthy moments in the local lake, Nora doesn’t drastically change who she is for love. While she grows and adapts, she doesn’t sacrifice her dreams for another person, a lesson that is extremely valuable.

This week as we’re flooded with typical rom coms about people giving up everything for someone they may have only met three days ago, Book Lovers offers an exciting alternative. Although it’s a quick, easy read that satisfies the undeniable craving for a rom com moment, it also allows the space for each individual in the relationship to prioritize their own goals and aspirations.

Now, it’s also worth focusing on the fact that Nora is a publishing agent and Charlie is a top editor. For anyone who loves books or is interested in the publishing industry, Book Lovers is right up your alley. An additional layer to the romance at hand, Nora must also navigate the demands of a notoriously challenging industry. It’s all about career life balance. Adding this additional theme to the novel, Henry crafts an exciting read that goes beyond the sole focus of finding your soulmate.

Celebrate this Valentine’s week with a little gift to yourself: the opportunity to get lost in the pages of a spectacular rom com. It’s time to pick up Book Lovers by Emily Henry.

Kate is an undergraduate student at JMU. She is a Writing, Rhetoric and Technical Communication major with minors in Spanish and Honors Interdisciplinary Studies. Kate loves to travel, read, and spend time with friends.