This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

I’ll admit it – I’ve been called a biddy before. I’ve even called a girl a biddy before. Friends have said they are going to have a ‘biddy night’ or were ‘biddy-ing’ out that night. Why exactly has this term become so popular on JMU’s campus?

Sorority women often throw around the term, as well as so many other members of the JMU community. It seems like it is synonymous with ‘girl’ or ‘woman’ but the associations we have with the word ‘biddy’ aren’t always the most positive.  When people think of or identify biddies, they’re sometimes the girls walking up and down Port Republic on Friday night in tight skirts and high heels, or wearing Ugg boots and yoga pants to class.

While there’s nothing wrong with these outfits, how has JMU come to stereotype this as a bad thing? Is it because of our lopsided female to male ratio perhaps? Or a joke that caught on? However the term ‘biddy’ managed to catch on like wildfire, it has almost turned into an insult.

Think about the word next time you hear it; do you like the term, find it funny, or just plain mean? 

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!