Best Friends: Don’t Let Distance Get in the Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Who knows your deepest, darkest secrets? Who knows your weirdest habits and doesn’t judge you? Who knows that you hate tomatoes but you love Bloody Marys? Who do you call to vent about your weekend stories? By now, you should have realized I’m talking about your best friends.

The best friends that know you’re still in love with your ex.
The best friends that know you have OCD and just laugh about it. The best friends that are always there for you at 3 a.m.

But what happens when those close friends become the far-away friends? When those close relationships become long-distance relationships? Word around town is that long-distance relationships don’t work… especially in college. So what can you do to make sure you don’t lose the people that you’ve intertwined your life with? 

That’s easy. Staying close is all about communicating and keeping your mind open. The great thing about today is the technology that comes with it.

Set up a group text message with your closest friends. This way, everyone is included and can be kept up-to-date as often as possible. Use social media to stay connected. Tweet inside jokes, check their Facebook for what’s new, or Skype while getting ready for the night out!

There’s also a plus side to living in different areas or going to different colleges, so use the distance to your advantage. You’ll have different parties, different guys and different news to catch up on. When you’re stressed and just want to get away, go visit them in their environment. Get to know everyone they’ve become friends with. Stay open minded to their decisions and different lifestyles. Invite them to visit you and help them understand where you’re coming from or what you’re dealing with when you tell them there really aren’t any guys at JMU!

Treat your best friends like you would treat a regular relationship. All the effort that you put into you and your boyfriend’s relationship (or the effort that you wish he put into it) should be the same amount that you put toward your friends. One day you’re going to want them to be
 your bridesmaids.  Not the bridesmaids that get drunk on a plane and ruin your bachelorette party in Vegas. Not the bridesmaids that cause you to get food poisoning and ruin your dream wedding dress. But the bridesmaids that shared and know your college experiences. The bridesmaids that stayed close to you, even though they were far away. 

Keep communicating and you’ll keep the relationships that matter the most. At least you know they’ll still be there for you at 3 a.m. 
Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!