“That Awkward Moment When…” #JMUedition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s happened to the best of us. At one point or another, we have all had an embarrassing moment or two. Whether you took a tumble down the stairs at a party or were caught doing the walk of shame, no one is safe. At the time, it seems like you just might die of embarrassment, but eventually it becomes something to laugh about. Here are some laughable moments that a few JMU students were brave enough to share: 

“One day I was walking back from class in ISAT after it had just rained. When I went to go down the steep hill by the train tracks, I slipped on mud, fell flat on my butt, and slid down the rest of the hill.
The worst part is that a guy from my dorm saw the whole thing, and now he won’t let me forget about it.” -Mia, freshman

“At Playfair during my FrOG week last year, everyone was told to cross arms and hold hands with the person on either side of them. I zoned out for a second and the next thing I knew, the person in front of me started running. Since I wasn’t prepared to move, I lost my balance and fell flat on my face. But I didn’t just fall, I did multiple rolls and lost my phone somewhere on the UREC turf. A boy had to get out of the line to pick me up off of the ground and help me look for my phone. Might I add that nearly the entire freshman class was there to see it?” -Sarah, sophomore

“My mom and dad came to visit me during parents’ weekend my freshman year. They brought me back to campus after we went out to dinner and when we pulled up to my dorm, we noticed one of the first-floor room’s blinds weren’t completely closed. From the car, we had a clear view of two people in the room beginning to hook up. If that wasn’t bad enough, my mom actually decided to make a joke about it to make it less awkward…which really only made it even more awkward.”
-Briana, sophomore

“I had just gotten into the study room of my dorm. When I went to go sit down and actually study, I heard a loud ripping noise. Sure enough, the entire crotch of my pants had ripped. I tried to make a casual exit so I could change my jeans, but I noticed everyone had popped their heads out of their cubicles to see what had happened.” -Alicia, Junior

“I live in a dorm that has a hall-style bathroom. One day, I was walking back to my room from the shower wearing only a towel and carrying my shower caddy. I was about to go into my room when I completely wiped out in the middle of the hallway. In the process, my towel fell off and the contents of my shower caddy spilled everywhere. I even busted my elbow open. The commotion caused a few people in my hall to open their doors to see what had happened, only to find me lying naked in the middle of the hallway.” -Rebecca, freshman

“I was at a party talking to a guy, but it was kind of awkward so I tried to make up an excuse to stop talking to him. I wasn’t quite sure of how to get away, so I told him I had to go to the bathroom. I said goodbye and thought I had made a clean getaway. But it wasn’t until I was actually in the bathroom that I realized he literally followed me into the bathroom stall!” -Katie, senior

“I picked up a bus from the studio center near Memorial Hall to head back to campus with my giant art portfolio. As soon as the bus started pulling away, a high-pitched beep went off once. A couple of seconds later it went off again, then again. The beeping picked up in frequency and just as we were pulling onto the South Main intersection to turn back onto campus, the beeping had turned into a siren. Then, the bus completely shut off. I looked around to see how everyone else was reacting only to notice that I was on the bus alone. A few silent minutes passed before the bus driver turned to look at me to say, “Ma’am, you need to please exit the bus”. I stood up to wait for the cars hurtling past to stop at the red light so I could step off the bus in the middle of the intersection and trek all the way back to campus.” -Jenna, sophomore

After reading a few of these stories, you may feel relieved that you’ve never experienced anything that embarrassing. Then again, if you’re like me, you’ve probably realized you could write this whole article entirely from your own embarrassing moments. Regardless, it’s happened to all of us and the best thing to do is just laugh it off! 

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!