This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Here come the leaves and favorite festivities! Fall is a well loved season and rightfully so, there are colorful leaves, hot cocoa, and new fashion trends. Autumn also opens the door to tons of new, fun, and cute activities to keep you busy till the holidays.

A fall favorite activity that we all know is, APPLE PICKING. This activity calls for cute pictures and lots of fun! Most apple farms also have other activities you can do as well like hay climbs and fun apple themed foods to try. Apple picking is usually pretty cost friendly and is fun for everyone. The only issue here is trying to a find a place to go that is close by, but luckily because of their popularity apple farms are starting to become more prominent.

My personal favorite fall activity is a BONFIRE. They are a great way to have a good time and create memories with your friends and family. This a simple and easy way to just hangout with the people you know and chat about the upcoming holidays. All you need is fire wood, a fire pit, and some warm clothes (and maybe something to get the fire going)! Not only can you talk with your friends at a bonfire but you can roast hotdogs or marshmallows to make s’mores.

Another destination activity you can go to is a PUMPKIN PATCH. They have lots of fall things for you and everyone else to do. At your typical pumpkin patch you can find a corn maze, hay climbs and hay rides, pumpkin fields to go pick pumpkins in, and even pumpkin carving contests! But the fun doesn’t end there, some pumpkin patches have friendly petting zoos with animals on their farm and some even have sunflower fields so you can snap a cute photo!

If you’re the type who enjoys nature but maybe not a lot of people a HIKE during this season would be a great activity for you. The way the leaves change colors and the crisp air is always refreshing and relaxing. You can bring as many or as little people you would like but always have at least one friend when hiking. The best part about hiking is that you can really go anywhere as long as you’re enjoying it and there are lots of colorful leaves!

Molly Peach-Girl With Fall Leaves Outsidee
Molly Peach / Her Campus

If you would like to stay indoors this fall then BAKING might be the activity for you. Baking has endless possibilities and is fun for friends and family. While baking you can get creative and do your own thing which I think is really fun. Invite a few people to bake with you and have a bake off or taste test. You can even bake fall themed things like pumpkin bread or cookies! Another great thing about baking is that you can bake some of your holiday gifts and have fun while doing so.

If you want to get a head start on the holiday insanity than you can start your GIFT SHOPPING early. As we all have experienced, shopping during the holidays is overwhelming and personally I always feel rushed. I really like to start in October but it’s also helpful to start in November, even before Black Friday. Sometimes you can find really good sales before stores promote the deals everyone is waiting for. Even online shopping can get some of your gifts out of the way. Etsy is my number one place for holiday gifts!

I am a freshman Media Arts and Design major at James Madison University. I love the outdoors, cartoons, and art! I also love to create things on the computer. I helped write and design my high school's yearbook all four years and had a senior position!