This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Name: Anna Hornberger

Year: Junior

Hometown: Ashburn, Virginia

What are you involved with on campus?

I am currently the Social Media Chair of my Sorority, Alpha Delta Pi. I am also in Young Life College here at JMU.

How would you describe your art?

“My art” makes it seem like it’s a product. I see it more as a process, if that makes sense. As someone who pays very close attention to detail in every aspect of life, drawing, painting, etc. gives me a chance to create my own details into a larger picture that others, and myself, can appreciate.

How did you get into art?

I have always loved everything art. My parents have pictures of me sitting in my diaper drawing with crayons. I have drawings and paintings that I have worked on throughout my childhood and awkward middle school years. Maybe it was all of that Bob Ross that I watched? I guess I would say high school is when I started getting into the style of drawings that I do most now. It’s also just very therapeutic for me. Drawing has always been my go-to way to unwind, which I tend to need to do a lot!

On a side note, I’m fortunate to have family as a great support system when it comes to my pursuit of art. So many family members have encouraged me to continue creating, and I probably would not have been as motivated if I hadn’t had that encouragement.

Where do you find your inspiration?

At first, I became incredibly interested in Mehndi Henna. I would look up pictures of traditional Hindu wedding henna, specifically. Once I had built more of a schema in my mind of what henna is, I began exploring with more organic shapes: different flower petals, vines, leaves, etc. Once I found inspiration in a strawberry. . . that was a weird one.

Where can your art be found?

I actually recently began selling a few of my art prints on consignment at Larkin Arts, located in downtown Harrisonburg. I am really thankful to the owner, Valerie Smith, for giving me that opportunity. Even if you’re not into my art style, Larkin Arts is worth exploring. They’ve got everything art-related, from supplies to art prints to original art on display — it’s a fun time.

For art prints: Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/mandalanna

For stickers: Redbubble: www.redbubble.com/people/mandalanna

Why are you trying to raise money using your art?

This upcoming summer, I have this incredible opportunity to go on a mission trip to Israel through Young Life College. I have had this in my heart since the moment that I heard about it. However, it involves fundraising — a lot of fundraising. Instead of asking people for money, I decided to use my art as a way to interest people who otherwise may not be interested in donating to a random girl’s mission trip fund!

Basically, I have created a free-hand henna-style world map. I’m asking for people to donate, and for every donation, they will receive an art print! I’m not sure about the details yet (cost, etc.), but if you are interested, please add me on Facebook or Instagram (@hornbergeranna). I’ll be posting an official announcement in weeks to come!

Senior double majoring in Psychology and Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communication. Lover of thick duvet covers, homemade soup, untouched snow, and all things literary. 
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.