Andrew Mortillo: Creator of “Life Lessons” Magazine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Like many students at JMU, junior Andrew Mortillo felt unsure of the path in life he wished to pursue when first stepping onto the campus his freshman year. With the help of his mentors and figuring out his passions, Mortillo decided to begin the production of JMU’s “Life Lessons” magazine.  This magazine focuses on interviews with various JMU professors asking life questions about happiness, purpose and wisdom.  The creative team has successfully received positive feedback from readers who also struggled with their directions in life.  Mortillo wishes to reach out to the JMU campus and let students find inspiration with his magazine, letting them know they are not alone on this rocky journey.

What motivated you to begin production of this magazine?
For the first two years of being at JMU I really struggled with figuring out what I wanted to do in life and the direction I was headed in. I felt very lost and unhappy. Thankfully, through the help of some mentors and just striving to figure out who I was at heart, I was able to make some big changes. I started putting my time towards things that were actually meaningful to me, such as helping other students who were going through the frustration that I had experienced for the first two years. I really believe the magazine can serve as a great resource for these students, and also for any students that want to develop more as people.

Where is it distributed?
Magazine racks in Carrier and Rose library. The online version can be found at www.lifelessonsjmu.com.

Who helps with the magazine and what do they do?
Much of the credit goes Kari Owens, a senior SMAD student who was in charge of designing the layout of the magazine. Griffin Harrington is a sophomore SMAD student who took the photos of the professors, and Cassie Lenski is a senior public relations student who is helping with distribution.

How did you find the most inspiring professors? Do they change or are they the same for each issue?
I found the professors mainly from my own personal experience and student recommendations. As of now I’m unsure if I want to do another issue next academic year; I’ll probably make that decision towards the end of the semester.

Are there any inspiring stories/feedback you received from readers after they read the magazine?
Yes! I’ve already had a bunch of students come up to me in person saying how much they loved the wisdom from the professors and explaining to me what resonated with them. One student gave me multiple hugs and a few students have demanded we come out with another issue! We’ve also received a ton of feedback regarding the physical design of the magazine, as well as some great feedback from the professors interviewed.

“What is it I am going to do today to make a difference in my life and the life of somebody else? That’s what it’s about. No doubt in my mind.” – Dr. Mark Warner (as seen on lifelessonsjmu.com).