Amanda Tram: President of the Newest Sorority on Campus, Phi Mu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a founding member of a new organization on campus? After talking to the president of the newly re-colonized Phi Mu sorority at JMU, Amanda Tram, I learned about what it takes to not only be a founding member, but also the leader of such a huge organization.

Amanda is a junior from Chantilly, VA and a communication studies major with a concentration in public relations. Besides being a member of Phi Mu, she is also involved in many other organizations around campus, including Lambda Pi Eta (an honors communications fraternity), Public Relations Student Society of America, and the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. We were lucky to have her share with us her experiences so far, her challenges, and her hopes for the future of her sorority.

HCJMU: We wanted to congratulate you on being the president of a newly re-colonized sorority on the James Madison University campus. What made you want to become the president and take on such a challenge?
AMANDA: Definitely because I fell in love with Phi Mu and became very passionate about it. I felt that this was my last and best opportunity to challenge myself and to do something beyond myself.

HCJMU: How has your experience as both a new chapter member and the president been so far?
AMANDA: So far, it has been really great. I am having a blast getting to know the sisters and getting closer to them. Being able to make decisions for the greater good can be hard sometimes, but it is a really great experience and it is a lot of fun. This is a life changing experience.

HCJMU: Being a fairly new sorority, it must be a day-to-day challenge trying to make a presence on campus. What types of challenges have you faced so far in your position?
AMANDA: One challenge is definitely being the example for everyone and knowing that you are the face of 127 other girls. A lot of girls have been passionate and happy about showing that we are here to make a difference and this is who we are as a whole. However, it can be difficult to get our name out in the beginning and have people understand who we are and what we are here to do.

HCJMU: How are you and your chapter planning on influencing the JMU community, as well as the Greek Life system?
AMANDA: We definitely want to become involved and supportive of every other organization on campus. We also require our members to each be a part of another organization because it helps us all be influential members of the whole JMU community.

HCJMU: What has your favorite part of this experience been, and why?
AMANDA: Definitely just being able to get to know everyone and having it become my life and my lifestyle. I have learned so much about myself and my sisters have taught me so much. This has been the biggest learning experience and leadership position that I will ever have in my life.

Amanda hopes to leave her chapter with a strong foundation after she leaves, which will allow the chapter to continue to grow and achieve. She also wants to leave as a good role model, a good sister, and a good friend. What advice does she have for future organizations trying to make their mark on the JMU community? Be proactive! She stressed the importance of never putting your guard down and to not be scared. And of course, to enjoy every second of it!

Sarah Robertson is a senior at James Madison University, with a major in Writing and Rhetoric and minor in Creative Writing. She is involved in the Public Relations Student Society of America, Society for Technical Communicators, as well as Sigma Kappa sorority where she serves as a member on the Judicial Board. At JMU, she is also a member on the e-Vision editorial board. She is from a small town in the Northern Neck of Virginia where she can't get enough of the hidden beaches and spectacular sunsets it has to offer. Sarah is currently interning in New York City at a radio network, Dial-Global, where she hopes to gain experience in broadcasting. In her spare time, Sarah enjoys reading fashion magazines cover-to-cover, learning how to cook without smoking out a house, as well as finding gems in thrift stores. She takes pleasure in writing and blogging while listening to great music including two of her favorites: John Butler Trio and Phoenix. After college, Sarah plans to attend journalism school to pursue a career in broadcast journalism and she hopes to eventally work for Vanity Fair.