Allison Palmer ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Name: Allison Palmer

Year: Junior

Major: IDLS Special Education

What made you join SafeRides?

I was a freshman who didn’t know anyone, and I just wanted to make friends, honestly. My English teacher in high school had been in SafeRides when she went to JMU and she was the one who told me about the organization so it was the only thing I really knew to do. I knew I wanted to make friends and serve the community so it seemed perfect.

Were you intimidated by such a significant position in the organization?

Yes, especially being a junior, but once I found out who else was on the executive board, I knew we would work well together and that I would have a lot of people right with me.

What do you hope to accomplish in SafeRides?

We are starting to run more cars. I just want to make sure that even if we get bigger and start doing more, the feeling of the tight knit community isn’t lost. I want things to be good for the members and for the patrons.

Do you consider yourself a leader at JMU?

Yeah, I do. I got to go to the Presidential Leadership Academy and it was literally the best week of my life. I got to meet president’s from like thirty other organizations and they were all so amazing. Now I realize, as a leader, how many resources you have to help you. I got a lot of contacts and heard some really cool things.

Any advice to females on trying to gain leadership positions?

Just don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone because I did. I was not expecting this. I didn’t want it at first, but you just need to take what is given to you because it means that someone believed in you and thought you could do it. Listen to the people who say you can do it.

Now for some fun questions!

Starbucks or Dunkin?

Starbucks, which is so sad because Dunkin is right by the SafeRides office.

Dream vacation?

Hilton Head South Carolina. I would move there if I could!

Favorite place on campus?

That weird deck thing by Grafton with all the tall white tables. At sunset, that is the best place to eat dinner!

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.