9 Ways to Treat Yourself This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Happily taken, or single and ready to mingle, we could all use a little love this Valentine’s Day. Who better to treat than yourself?! No need to sit back and wait for that box of chocolates or that bouquet of flowers–this Valentine’s Day is all about you, and here are some ideas on how to pamper yourself. So go on, try one, or try them all! Happy Valentine’s Day! XOXO

1. Watch a movie

Whether it’s Netflix or going out to the movie theater, a movie is the perfect way to wind down and relax this Valentine’s Day. That’s right… ZERO stress! Not only does Netflix have an arsenal of movies ready for you to binge watch, this Valentine’s Day, 50 Shades of Grey is being released…and who doesn’t want a little fantasy and eye candy to watch for an hour or two?

2. Paint your nails

Between Pinterest DIYs and the professionals at the nail salon, the possibilities are endless. Try a pop of color in red or pink to really show your holiday spirit–extra points if you can successfully paint a cute heart design on one or more of your nails. Nothing is more gratifying than looking at your perfectly polished fingers the next time you go to text that cutie you can’t stop thinking about.

3. Order some Campus Cookies

Why not indulge in some warm, freshly-baked cookies?! It’s a national holiday and nothing says, “Happy Valentine’s Day!” like some sugar in cookie form. The best part is that Campus Cookies delivers straight to your door so there’s no need to turn off Netflix and go out in the cold to get your sugar fix. (Hint: if you sign up for emails from Campus Cookies they usually send out a new coupon once (or twice) a week… I like to think of it as being thrifty).

4. Light some candles and start a bubble bath

Okay ladies, you’re not fooling anyone… Who doesn’t like to light some candles (preferably some Bath and Body Works or Yankee Candles), turn the lights down, and enjoy the ambiance? A bubble bath is just the icing on the cake (bonus if your candles are cake batter smelling too)!

5. Throw on a facemask

For all you Pinterest junkies out there, get ready to get your DIY fix! (…Or if you’re like me, store bought is always a cheap and easy go to). Not only can you eat chocolate on this sweet day, you can literally wear it. Who knew chocolate had so many benefits for your skin? These masks are relatively easy to make, and some are even three ingredients or less!

6. Dress up

Okay, the only place you have to be is in front of your TV or laptop watching Netflix while treating yourself to those cookies you ordered, so why not dress up? It’s a fact; when you dress well you feel naturally more positive. So pull out your favorite dress or outfit and strut your stuff…maybe even take a selfie (or two… because you can never have too many)!

7. Buy yourself a little something that makes you happy

Even if it’s something simple like a 99 cent candy, or splurging on that perfect addition to your wardrobe, go ahead and get something that makes you smile. Today is the best day to simply treat yourself, who needs a better excuse?

8. Wear some lipstick

Pucker up! The perfect pout is the best way to celebrate V-Day. Get creative, go with a fun violet or coral shade. Or keep it classic with a romantic red or pretty pink. The choice is yours!

9. Share the love

Give a valentine to a stranger or a friend. Whether someone has a valentine or is going solo this year, this small act of kindness will go a long way. Imagine the smiles you will bring into the world just by slipping the barista at Starbucks a valentine, or putting one on someone’s table at the library while they are up getting water? Plus, there are some really cute and simple ideas all over the Internet. So go ahead, spread some love!

But above all else…

Hey everyone! I'm Megan, a senior at James Madison University pursuing a double major in the School of Media Arts and Design (with a concentration in journalism) and political science, and a minor in political communication. I am an avid Netflix viewer, obsessed with breakfast foods, and a yogi-- queue the headstand. I love to read news and stay up to date with all things pop culture...and I also love to write, go figure! Due to extreme wanderlust, I am always on the move, and I look forward to traveling the world and whatever comes with it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you have. Enjoy! 
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.