8 Ways to NOT Spend Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

V-Day 2K13 is upon us, ladies!  And we should all be praising the Royal Duke Gods because this year Valentine’s Day falls on a Thursday (a.k.a. the weekend) and two days after JMU Assessment Day.

Whether you have a Valentine or not, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be out celebrating this sacred day of L-O, L-O, L-O-V-E.  Because can any girl truly hate flowers, chocolate, Teddy bears or watching a Channing Tatum rom-com?

Lots of girls stress over dates and gifts because they want them to be absolutely perfect.  How quickly we forget that boys have such lower standards than us.  Believe it or not, it’s actually pretty hard to mess up Valentine’s Day.  If the idea you are thinking of using is NOT on the list below, then trust me, you’re gonna have a great night.

1. Go to White Castle
You’re a poor college kid and can’t afford to splurge on your date.  Call White Castle (yes, call them.  They’re taking reservations!) to spend only $10 on a specially priced combo of sliders for you and your beau.  Remember the night by bringing home a keepsake menu complimentary digital photo that will also be uploaded to Facebook to make your friends jealous!

2. Browse the nursery
No, no, not the flower nursery.  You already should’ve gotten some of those from your date!  I’m talking about the baby nursery.  Head to Rockingham Memorial Hospital’s baby ward and pick out which little angels look most like a combination of your genes.  Then come up with names for your future children together. 

3. Pre-arrange your funerals
Who knew arranging a funeral could be so complicated? Check something off life’s to-do list today.  Hey, ’til death do us part!

4. Shooting
With all this controversy over gun laws, take advantage of shooting for sport while you still can.  Get crafty and role-play.  Tell him not to shave for the entire two weeks leading up to V-Day so you can pretend you’re on “Duck Dynasty. “He’ll be Jase and you’ll be his mega-hot wife.

5. Finally tell him your “big news”
The holidays are meant for breaking big news.  So many couples get engaged on Christmas and New Year’s.  If you’ve been dating your guy for a couple months now and are holding something back, take advantage of Valentine’s Day by finally revealing your secret.  Say something sour on something sweet (cookie cake, anyone?) so he won’t be as mad.

6. A movie premiere where the star is YOU
“Millionaire Matchmaker” on Bravo! offers some fun and unique dating ideas.  On one episode, millionaire Stacy shows her date to a private movie screening to view her latest selfie flick.  Though Stacy’s lingerie-filled drama was a little risqué, she took dinner and a movie to a whole new level!

7. Take him to a frat party
Are you a sorority gal dating a GDI? (“God Dang Independent,” a term for non-Greeks.)  Give him a taste of the night-life by letting him tag along with you to a frat basement party.  If he makes it past the bros at the door, you’re halfway there.  Sweat the night away with free Natty and blaring EDM.

8. Double date with your parents
Three words: White Castle. Awkward.

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.