7 Underrated Disney Channel Original Movies You Should Binge Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

So recently me and my roommates, for I don’t know what reason, decided to watch Disney Channel’s Original Movie Descendants. You know the one that is about the children of Disney Prince, Princesses, and Villains that live in a magical reality together. Surprising we didn’t hate it, we even watched the Descendants 2 in the end. While watching this movie we got into a discussion about Disney Channel’s Originals and the usuals came up like High School MusicalCheetah Girls, and Camp Rock (s/o to Kenny Ortega). All of which are such good movie memories, we started talking about other DCOM Originals that were soo good but v underrated. So here is the list you never thought you needed but glad you stumbled upon (no particular order of course). 

1. Jump In (2007)

Boxing and Double-Dutch? Sign us up. The film served as a great representation of POC in film which even till now we don’t seem to see often. The film has multiple layers to it besides the overarching competitions within the plot. Not to mention it features the fabulous Corbin Bleu who made his debut with HSM. 

2. Read it and Weep (2006) 

Having your personal journal turned in to best selling hit? Yikes! The film, in the light-hearted Disney Channel way, shows the power writing can have as well as the consequences of instant fame.  

3. Go Figure (2005)

As an ex-figure skater this film, next to Ice Princess, I LIVED for. Hockey and Figure Skating has this faux rivalry but the film happily brought the two worlds together.  Katelyn, although can come off as a bit self-centered, was very mature for her age and she didn’t stoop low like the other “twirl girls” but instead worked hard for her dreams without sacrificing friendships and sportsmanship. Even better the film pasts the Bechdel Test. #girlssupportinggirls

4. Cowbells (2006) 

Disney’s version of the Paris and Nicole’s The Simple Life. Like Steve Harrington the character development in this movie is A+. 

5. Starstruck (2010) 

Although the plot line is similar to most celebrity who wants a normal life there’s something endearing about this film. It also acknowledges the #fangirllife. 

6. Cadet Kelly (2002) 

Throwback Disney killin’ it again with passing the Bechdel Test with Cadet Kelly. Military school is tough but leave it to Hillary Duff to add some style to it. 

7. Motocrossed (2001) 

Before She’s the Man came out in 2006 there was Motocrossed.  This is Disney’s version of Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night except with motocross and Andrea Carson is one kick-ass babe. 

Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.