7 Things We Learned from Disney’s “Moana”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

With movies like “Brave” (2012), “Frozen” (2013) and most recently “Moana,” Disney’s animated movies have become the battleground for not only cultural diversity, but for gender equality. Disney’s Moana follows a spirited Polynesian girl who answers the ocean’s call and sets out on a daring mission to prove herself to her father, her village and her ancestors without prince charming as a prize. Moana has become the most important movie in decades, blending in beautifully the old with the new. Here are seven things Moana taught us in just under two hours. 

1. Follow your heart.

2. You can accomplish anything.

3. There’s nothing more important than family.

4. Feminine strength is a powerful thing.

5. Treat the Earth with respect.

6. Don’t let fear hold you back.

7. Know your purpose.

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.