7 Local Coffee and Tea Shops to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Fall is here, which means projects and exams are lurking around the corner, holiday decorations are already starting to be setup (which reminds us of shopping that hasn’t been finished yet) and the temperatures are about to drop. While the stressors are down the road, the cooler weather is a perfect time for coffee and tea lovers to enjoy what they love most: sipping on a warm mug of your favorite flavors and relaxing in its warm embrace. There are some local coffee and tea shops I recommend visiting in Harrisonburg to enjoy your favorite cup of joe or tea (aside from Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts).

1. Greenberry’s Coffee Co. (400 S High St.)

The usual price range for coffees here range from $3 to $5. I ordered a Mocha Mint Grande Latte from here last week and it was a good blend of flavors and bold coffee. On top of that, the service was pretty fast considering how busy they can get. They have a small parking lot, and a drive-thru. I highly recommend exiting through W. Grace Street, since it is on the corner by a light.

2. The Artful Dodger (47 Court Sq.)

If you’re walking around downtown, I highly recommend checking this out. While they serve the basics in terms of lattes (but not so much in teas), it is a little cheaper here and there’s wifi to use while you’re enjoying your cup. They also have a great variety on their menu, and it’s usually more quiet here in the morning hours.

3. Black Sheep Coffee (217 South Liberty St.)

I haven’t gone here yet, but from what I’ve read online, they have a great variety of teas and coffees for you to enjoy along with delicious treats. They also buy some of their products from local, in-state businesses, so kudos for that!

4. Earth & Tea Cafe (120 S Main St.)

Now if tea is more of your choice to sip during chilly weather, this downtown cafe will be up your alley. I can’t even begin to tell you the variety of tea they offer here, ranging from green, white, oolong, herbal, and more! They offer some basic coffees during brunch time, and the atmosphere is very comfortable here with the lighting.

5. Shenandoah Joe (64 S Mason St, Ste 100)

Their roastery is located in Charlottesville, so their coffee beans are freshly ground. I’ve heard it’s quiet and the staff is very friendly here. If coffee is your passion, they have a wide range. I definitely plan to stop by here for my caffeine fix and experiment with the coffee beans I haven’t tried out yet!

6. Court Square Coffee (2 N Main St.)

This is a go to place if you are enjoying downtown on the weekdays during school hours. Jeremiah, the owner, is very friendly and this place is locally owned, so you’d be supporting a local business! For a quick coffee grab, I definitely recommend this place. The friendly conversations and smile Jeremiah offers will make your busy day better.

7. Heritage Bakery & Cafe (212 S Main St.)

My sister recommended this cafe to me because their pastries are amazing, but upon further investigating through their site, I found out that they serve their own hot teas and basic coffees here as well. So on the list they go, because enjoying a sweet treat with a hot drink is always a good combo. Reading their pastry options did make my mouth water. This is also another locally owned business!

Howdy there! You can call me MelMel for short. Born and raised in Mount Solon, Virginia I consider myself a sort of local to the Harrisonburg city (I just get the leisure of living outside of town to enjoy the quiet countryside). I am currently attending JMU to achieve my Bachelors Studies degree for my major in Health Sciences. Helping others is a life goal I like to get involved in, when I get the free time around campus I participate in various activities or pickup some local volunteer work. I'm an energetic,fun,shy, and sometime stubborn person to hang around. I enjoy drawing, writing, playing videogames, and an animal lover. Very close to my family.I love to chat and make friends :3 I play on PSN as MelMel6 and Steam as __MelMel__.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.