6 Styles to Try Out for the New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

2016 gives a collegiette multiple opportunities to revamp oneself during the semester. A good way to ring in the “new” you is changing your style or bringing it up a notch. What better way to try something out of your comfort zone by wearing something you’ve always wanted to and make a statement? Here are a few looks to try this semester that are possible for any collegiette.

1. Chic

It’s never too late to channel your inner Chanel from Scream Queens. Go bold with the black and white and try out new textures, such a faux fur or wool. Just because it’s cold out doesn’t mean you can’t throw some shade with your outfit by adding black sunglasses with a touch of gold.  

2. Boho

Love summer and want to bring it to the cold? Does the High School Musical reunion have you looking through Vanessa Hudgens’ Instagram and digging her style? It’s never too late to binge on the fringe and “pur-suede” yourself to try out this look this semester.

3. Vintage

Take on a new approach to this “retro” look this semester. Play with patterns from denim to plaid and bring them to new pieces such as dresses or ponchos. Pair the outfit with a small clutch to add a pop of color that compliments your outfit.

4. Classic & Professional

Maybe this semester you have big things in store for you. You have people to meet and interviews to go to, so you always want to look prepared and #fabulous. Try pairing your fav professional black dress with a light color blazer and some sparkly black tights to add a bit of flare. Even updating your purse to the sleek, black, Hamilton Bag from MK you’ve always had you’re eye on. When the strap is used it makes for a more fashionable alternative to the boring briefcase.

5. Edgy

Maybe last semester you played it safe with subtle tones and fabrics and this year you want to try something more on the edgy side. Whether it’s “Timbs,” “Docs,” or things that look like the real deal, try investing in some killer boots that make you walk like nothing stands in your way. Nothing like a black leather jacket to make you feel like no one can mess with you. You could even add a fur scarf to this look to keep you warm while you’re giving others the cold shoulder.   

6. Cute and Comfy

Early classes are always a pain, but even more so if it’s only the start of a new day. Maybe this semester brought you your first 8 a.m. or that dreaded three hour late class. No worries, it’s still possible to look cute and stay comfortable this semester. Long flowy shirts plus boyfriend jeans are a match made in heaven. You’ll be comfy plus you’ll look good and feel good all day. Having a bad hair day? Throw in a cute knit beanie to keep you warm and tame that mane.  

Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.
Hey everyone! I'm Megan, a senior at James Madison University pursuing a double major in the School of Media Arts and Design (with a concentration in journalism) and political science, and a minor in political communication. I am an avid Netflix viewer, obsessed with breakfast foods, and a yogi-- queue the headstand. I love to read news and stay up to date with all things pop culture...and I also love to write, go figure! Due to extreme wanderlust, I am always on the move, and I look forward to traveling the world and whatever comes with it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you have. Enjoy!