6 Party Themes That Are Totally Sexist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

I recently found myself searching the Internet for good party themes, expecting to find clever ideas that would be superior to my own. What I actually found, however, is that there is a plethora of commonly used college party themes that are appallingly offensive, particularly toward women.

1. King Tuts and Egyptian Sl*ts

We’re off to a great start. Honestly, this theme doesn’t even sound real, but alas, this is included in theme lists.

2. Creepy Guys and Cutie Pies

To be fair, this is (hopefully) not a common theme, but it was a real party thrown by the Sigma Nu fraternity at Duke University. I’m not sure this is even as sexist as much as it is totally tasteless, and offensive.

4. Millionaires and Mistresses

Guys get to be millionaires and girls have to be the mistresses of those millionaires? CoOol.

5. Colonial Bros and Nava-H*s

This one is sexist AND culturally insensitive. Bad all-around.

6. Literally any theme that follows this formula:

(Insert profession) and _______ h*s

CEOs and office h*s, golf pros and tennis h*s, pimps and h*s—the list goes on. This formula is perfect for lazy boys and it’s equally perfect for degrading women.

This list doesn’t even touch on all the racially offensive themes that have been used at parties. In the future when throwing a party or choosing one to attend, avoid the ones that might offend a huge portion of the population.

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.