5 Ways to Take Action For Social Justice Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

In America’s first month under a new administration, the country has seen a dramatic change in our government and its policies. Between the government hiring freeze, the advancement of various pipelines and the government defunding of Planned Parenthood, President Trump has officially broken the record for the most executive orders and presidential memoranda signed during a president’s first week in office. His week one tally: 14.

Trump’s actions have created much tension and a clear divide in our nation. So what can we, the people, do about it? While voicing our opinions on social media can help educate our peers and stand up for what we believe in, speaking up virtually isn’t enough. The people must take notable action that will get the attention of our congressmen and women. Here are five ways we can be proactive about the future of our nation.

1. Educate yourself and those around you

While a Facebook or Twitter feed can, at times, be a good source for global updates, it’s surely tailored to your liking. A majority of people you follow on social media are bound to have similar views since you choose who to follow (and who to block). Instead of constantly turning to social media to release a rant, look to some other sources instead. First off, educate yourself by reading articles from reliable and non-partisan news sources, and stay updated updated on current events.

After your quest to acquire enough knowledge to engage in an educated argument in which you can backup your opinions, find ways to talk to those around you. Creating dialogue with your peers and your community members is a crucial act of educating that can help generate productive conversations that allow for better understanding of differing views. Consider organizing a summit in your local area where community members can come together and share questions, ideas and direction for action.

2. Protest

This past month has seen a number of protests spark up from the flame. While the most notable of protests, the Women’s March, was planned over the span of two months, attending a protest doesn’t have to be a big production. Protests are often organized in the spur of the moment, such as the immigrant and refugee rally that occurred in Harrisonburg on January 27. Keep your eye out for protests in your area that interest you, and think about starting your own revolution.

3. Donate money

There are numerous organizations globally that are always looking for donations to support a variety of social justice issues. Whether you want to fight for refugee resettlement, climate change or women’s reproductive rights, donating to a worthy institution is a small and easy way to support the causes that are important to you. Read up on your favorite organizations to get to know more of what they do and what your donation money is going to. Check out an organization’s site for this information and more on other ways you can help.

In addition to donating, be sure to share these organizations and their donation pages with others, in order to spread the giving and stay updated on petitions or policies the organizations are moving forward with.

4. Contact your congressmen and women

Congressmen and women work for the people’s needs, but how are they supposed to know what we want if we don’t tell them? While it’s a rare opportunity to speak directly to a member of Congress, there are other ways to get in contact with politicians and their staff. It’s common for constituents to call congressional offices and leave a message voicing their opinions on a bill or another voting matter. When doing so, be sure to write or look up a script in order to make your message quick and to-the-point.

Writing to your congressmen and women will also have the same effect. Since President Trump’s inauguration, many letter writing campaigns have popped up around the country encouraging the community to come together and get the attention of their governors, senators and representatives. Find out about any in your area, and consider contacting local businesses to organize these events in their facilities in order to garner more attention.

5. Volunteer

If you’re passionate about an issue and want to directly impact change, consider volunteering for an organization that supports the causes you believe in. Non-profits are always looking for help, whether it be an abortion clinic, a refugee resettlement center or a homeless shelter. Your presence alone is enough to make a difference.
Despite the current leadership of our country, we the people still have the opportunity to insight change in the direction of our country. Do your research, take action, use your voice productively and stay woke.

Yasmine is a senior at James Madison University majoring in writing, rhetoric and technical communication. Half-Italian and half-Palestinian, she was born and raised in Herndon, VA. Her favorite shows include New Girl, The Office, and Law and Order: SVU. During the school year, Yasmine writes for publications such as Potty Mouth, Port & Main Magazine, The Breeze, and Health Greatness, in addition to Her Campus. She is also involved in many clubs around campus, such as Muslim Student Association, SafeRides, and Make Your Mark On Madison. She has a passion for writing and hopes to begin her career as a fashion journalist after college. 
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.