5 Ways to Organize for the Perpetually Un-Organized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Where are all my fellow hot messes out there? You know who you are: color coordinating is not an innate skill and a freshly made bed is not on your list of priorities. Never fear, there’s still hope! If you want to get a better handle on your life and start managing your time more effectively, there are little steps you can do, even if you think you’re doomed.

1. The “One and Done” Method

Think about it: a whole sink of dirty dishes looks a lot more daunting than a single piece of flatware, and a carpet covered in clothes can feel overwhelming pretty quickly. So here’s a solution: don’t let it happen. Take the extra ten seconds to put the spoon in the dishwasher and put the shirt in the hamper. I know I sound just like your mother, but trust me, you’ll notice an immediate change.

2. Upcycle Old Jars

Most of us unorganized girls find clutter to be our pitfall: hair ties, headphones, loose change, lip balms…you name it, it’s somewhere on our dresser. To cut down on the mess, reuse old jars from preservatives or burned-through candles. Pro-tip: if you’re reusing an old candle jar that still has some wax inside, let it sit in the freezer overnight. The wax and wick will fall right out the next morning if you run a butter knife around the rim. Clean off any old residue and peel off the stickers (if you’re feeling extra fancy), and you’re good to go!

3. Plan for Fun

I know that sounds crazy, but it works! If my favorite TV show is airing or I just have to make a trip to Target, I write it down in my planner. Not because I’m really going to forget, but because it forces me to actually use my planner. When I’m jotting down that cool concert I’m going to this weekend, for example, I’m more likely to also write down my homework and important deadlines while I’m at it.

4. Don’t Break the Chain

This is a popular method used to establish habits. Pick a small, manageable task to complete daily. Some examples: 50 squats, an hour of studying, etc. Then, mark your calendar with an “X” for every day you complete said task. Don’t put any markings on the days you don’t follow through. After even a few days, you’ll notice the pattern of Xs is pleasing to the eye and something you’ll want to keep up. It’s a tangible way to form a habit that works, even if you’re not super organized, because everyone loves patterns. That’s why stripes are so popular.

5. Make a Visual To-Do List

I know, I know, you’re not a list person, per say. But you still have things you’ve got to do today, and nothing’s worse than forgetting something crucial. That’s why every night before bed, try to take a few minutes to gather up everything that’s an absolute must-have and place them somewhere strategic. Do you need to take your rent check to your landlord? Put the check underneath your car keys. Is it imperative that you wash your black slacks before your presentation tomorrow? Put the pants on top of your purse. By putting visual reminders of your to-do list in places that are unavoidable, you have a better chance of checking off all your boxes without anything falling through the cracks.

And there you have it. May your lives now be a little less shambly and your days be a bit more blissful. Now, all aboard the Hot Mess Express…because some things never change.

Junior SMAD major and Creative Writing Minor. Lover of Taylor Swift, copious amounts of coffee, and liquid eyeliner.
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.