Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Songs To Help You Mourn The Guy You Never Really Had

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Sir Sly – Altar

I used to quite literally worship at the altar of this one guy. I was so obsessed with the idea of him, that I was clouded from ever really getting to know him. I’d let every one of his poor actions slide, just for a few minutes of his attention. This song breaks down these feelings of idolization and being completely oblivious of the reality of a situation. The best part about it is when it switches to talking about being fine, alive, and the pointlessness of worshipping at the feet of this toxic person at all. At ths shift, Sir Sly adds, what sounds like a church choir, because that part is straight up angelic.

Writer In the Dark – Lorde

This song gives me chills. It brings me back to scrolling through Instagram and finding out the guy, who could never manage to commit to me, had a new girlfriend. I remember the rollercoaster of emotions seering throughout my body, and Lorde captures this perfectly. Like the song, it was painful, heartbreaking, and then it became hopeful. “I love it here since I’ve stopped needing you” was so relatable for me because I was truly able to start enjoying my college experience when I began to let go of the fantasy I had fought so long to hold onto.

Super Far – LANY

I love this song because it’s upbeat and doesn’t make you want to cry, but the right message is still there. It describes a person you’re so invested in who’s giving you little to nothing in return, and if they can’t put in the effort, they should probably just go. What’s really sad about my experience of these feelings, is that the guy had already been gone for quite some time, I just hadn’t accepted it yet.

Sex – The 1975

Is this song really depressing or is it just me? I think of the rush of being 15, wildly unaware, in the front seat of his car. It also reminds me of the times he would contact me while I was in a relationship, and I’d have to plead with my mind just to ignore him. I could never be unfaithful, but there was a point in my life where I couldn’t have fathomed the thought of disregarding him, so the learning curve was brutal. 

Shot for Me – Drake

I look at the lyrics of this song, and for some reason, picture some of these words hidden within the cracks of his past apologies. Him apologizing? A shocker, yes, but it’s something that would happen from time to time over the years of our continuous communication. I like to think that these are the things he would’ve said, or was thinking, even though it’s probably an epic exaggeration.

Carley Prendergast was born and raised in Virginia Beach, Virginia. She is currently pursuing a B.A. in Writing, Rhetoric and Technical Communication at James Madison University. She is passionate about all things fashion and media and would love to incorporate that into a journalistic profession in the future.