This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s hard to do something big when you feel incredibly small on this planet. Though you can’t do everything, you can do something, and every small bit is greatly appreciated by mother nature. Here’s some small things you can do that are good for the Earth and you.

Shop Local

Supporting big brands also means supporting increased CO2 consumption as greenhouse gases are emitted. By shopping locally at a co-op or a mom-and-pop store, there’s a smaller carbon footprint because there’s less of a need to transport goods via truck, train, or plane. Also, for every $1 that’s spent at a local business, $.68 of that stays invested in the local economy. Not only are you supporting small businesses, but your community as well.

Carry Your Own Reusable Bag

Single waste plastic makes up a large majority of waste that’s non-biodegradable. Most plastic waste finds its way into the Great Pacific Garbage Patch– a heap of trash that consists of tons of waste that’s currently floating around the Pacific Ocean. To stop contributing to this mass amount of waste, start carrying around your own reusable bag! 

It’s so convenient because they can fit on any keychain and they’re so convenient the next time you go shopping.

Try to Eat Less Meat

Yes, I know those nugs from Chick-Fil-A are bomb but the meat industry? Not so much. We grow enough food on this planet to solve world hunger yet most crops are given to feed animals in the meat industry. Not only does this deplete resources like water and land, but it encourages more greenhouse gas emissions as livestock has become the #1 contributor to methane in the atmosphere (which is a greenhouse gas that’s more potent than CO2). Cutting back on meat consumption will encourage more people to stop supporting the meat industry and you can lower your risk of cancers and other illnesses.

Thrifting

You’ve probably already done this and that’s great if you have. Thrifting is when you go shopping at a thrift store instead of other stores like Reformation and Urban Outfitters. It’s great because you can find real vintage pieces at affordable rates instead of paying for an upcharge of a remade version *cough* something that Urban Outfitters constantly does *cough*. Also by doing this, you’re cutting down water depletion as a single pair of pants can take over 40 gallons of water to produce. Just make sure to donate something every time that you plan on shopping!

Start Upcycling

Upcycling is a better version of reusing because you can give items a new purpose to prevent them from becoming waste. That empty glass jar that you have? Keep it and turn it into a cup or a decoration or use it for storing snacks. The possibilities are endless when it comes to upcycling! Places like r/upcycle on Reddit can be a great place to ask and find out how to upcycle certain objects. Not only will this cut down the amount of waste that you produce, but you’ll also save money because you’ll find that you won’t need to buy as many things from the store.

I hope that these small habits will soon find their way into your lifestyle. They still make a difference and they’re not only good for the Earth, but for you and those around you. Here’s to being more mindful in 2020!

JMU pre-law political science major who loves iced coffee, supporting environmental sustainability, farmers markets, and Bella Hadid.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.