5 Healthy Foods to Add to your Grocery List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

We all know how hard it can be to go grocery shopping for healthy foods.  Sometimes when you hit the aisles after a long day of classes, all you want are chips and chocolate! So here’s a quick list of five delicious and healthy food items you can add to your cart!

1. Dark Chocolate
Everyone needs a little chocolate now and then. For a healthy change, swap your milk chocolate for dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is proven to help improve heart health and lower bad cholesterol. It is still high in sugar though, so don’t over indulge!

2. Almonds
These nuts are great for snacking. Almonds can help fight against heart disease, obesity and cancer. If you want a little extra flavor, try varieties that are already seasoned.

3. Peanut Butter
The spread is high in calories, but it’s a great source of protein.  There are so many different ways you can eat it, from your traditional PB+J, to a spread for apples!

4. Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are delicious and a great food that helps keep your skin clear. They also help you stay looking young and refreshed!

5. Tea
With a Starbucks right on campus (make that two!), it may be hard to trade your deliciously brewed beverages for tea.  However, the latter is a lighter and healthier alternative that comes in so many different flavors! Teas are loaded with antioxidants and can help fight cancers.

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.