This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

If you’re as bored as I am during this quarantine, a great way to pass the time is to curl up with a cup of tea and a new book. Plus, you can catch up on your reading goals for the year. Not sure where to start? Here are 5 books to check out.

The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys

If you love a good historical fiction novel, this one’s for you. Set in Madrid in 1957, the story follows Daniel Matheson, the son of an American oil tycoon whose family is visiting Spain. His story intertwines with that of Ana, who is dealing with the repercussions of the Spanish Civil War, and learning to live under a facist regime. It’s romantic, suspenseful, and full of rich historical detail.

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

Looking for something mysterious and a bit paranormal? Ninth House follows Alex Stern, who is a student at Yale – as well as a high-school drop out and the sole survivor of an unsolved multiple homicide. In her hospital bed, she’s offered the chance to attend an Ivy League University on a full-ride. She finds herself in New Haven, and becomes sucked into the occult and sinister activities of Yale’s secret societies. It’s the first in a new series, so if you like it, there’s more to come!

Three Women by Lisa Taddeo

This one is definitely the most ~scandalous~ of the list. Three Women is non-fiction, but it reads much more like a gripping drama. Lisa Taddeo spent over eight years following and interviewing, you guessed it, three women about risks women take to fulfill their sexual desires. Maggie recalls being seduced at age 17 by her high school English teacher. Lina is married to a man who refuses to kiss her, and rekindles a romance with her high school crush. Sloane, a beautiful and successful restaurant owner, lets her husband choose other sexual partners for it. While their stories are intriguing, this book does a great job of tackling a subject that is often considered too taboo to discuss: a woman’s sexuality.

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Follow 18 year old Celaena after she is released from prison in order to participate in a competition to become the King’s new assassin. This book really has everything you could ask for from a fantasy novel – romance with a prince and a warrior, mystery, insane battles, and a plot twist or two.

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

This is literally the best book I’ve ever read. Like, I cried like a baby when it was over. It follows two sisters in Nazi occupied France during World War 2. Vianne has just said goodbye to her husband, who has gone off to fight at the front, and now must navigate having her home occupied by a German captain. Isabelle is a rebellious 18 year old, who falls in love with a man while marching from Paris. He betrays her, and she joins the resistance. This is the type of book that will sit with you for days after you’re finished and will give you ALL the feels.

There you have it. 5 books that are sure to keep you busy during the quarantine. Stay home ladies! Have fun reading. 

Madison is a Senior Media Arts & Design major at James Madison University. Favorites include: iced lattes, Glossier, over-analyzing horoscopes, reading, and fashion.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.