5 Easy Ways to Make Money This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

1. Sell things on the Free & For Sale page/Sorority Girl Swap pages

Take a look through your closet and pull out anything you have not worn in over a month. This can include shoes, jewelry, and clothing. If it’s in good condition, try selling it online! JMU has a Free & For Sale page that you can join and start posting! There are also “yard sale” groups for sororities and other organizations that operate similarly. In addition to selling clothing, you can try to get rid of bedding, decor, and furniture.

2. Be a Campus Rep

Many companies are coming to campus looking for eager students to represent them. Companies sometimes offer commission, while others offer a good resume-building experience. FreeTextbooks is a company that is currently looking for campus reps to buyback textbooks from students. They offer commission and a great sales experience, not to mention GREAT prices on buybacks. FreeTextbooks will buy your old textbooks for 20% higher than the average bookstore. In addition, they will take the books, ship them for you, and you will get paid right away. Click here to learn more about being a rep and makin’ that $$!

Other popular campus rep opportunities include Victoria’s Secret PINK, Amazon Student and Love Your Melon.

3. Sell back clothes to consignment stores

If selling clothing in a Facebook group is unsuccessful, try selling back gently used clothing to consignment stores. Some stores are more selective than others, so choose wisely! If your clothing is more high-end, definitely look for a consignment shop that fits that description because you will probably receive more money for your items!

4. Start an Etsy shop

Are you crafty? Can you hand-letter? Try opening an Etsy shop! If you’re a motivated self-starter, this is right up your alley! Start off small, so you can manage your budding small business on top of your school work and social life.

5. Use Ebates, Opinion Outpost, or e-Rewards

If you have a lot of time on your hands, websites like Opinion Outpost and e-Rewards allow you to participate in surveys for cash or gift card rewards! Sometimes the surveys can be lengthy, but if you enjoy telling people about your preferences and habits, check them out!

Ebates offers you cash back when you shop online. Although the cash back percentage can often been minimal (i.e. 3% at Sephora.com), if you are making big purchases or frequent purchases, it will add up quickly!

I am a junior at JMU studying Media Arts & Design- Corporate Communication. I am a member of Phi Mu Fraternity in addition to Her Campus! I was born in Troy, OH and grew up in both Kings Mountain, NC and Richmond, VA. I am the oldest child, the only blonde in my immediate family, and the only one who has 20/20 vision. 
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.