This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Laying by the pool… Drinking an ice-cold drink… Diving into a good book. These are all vital elements to a relaxing summer break. I study writing and literature every day of the semester, so finding time to read for fun is difficult. To encourage creative thinking while out of class, here are 5 book recs from a writing major for your summer break:

Bridgerton Series by Julia Quinn

If you’ve watched the show, you know how addicting this storyline is. If you are looking for a fun and thrilling love story set in the late 1700s to the early 1800s, this is the series for you. In the first book, The Duke and I, we follow Daphne Bridgerton and her scandalous affair with the Duke of Hastings. Without giving too much away, I can say this book hooked me from beginning to the end. The series continues for 7 more books. Keep an eye out for these must-reads! 

The Vanishing Half by  Brit Bennett

This story takes a dynamic look at race and gender by following the matriarchal line of a family who has been split because of societal difference. This story had me in tears for some parts and on the edge of my seat for others. We follow Jude, the daughter of Desiree, as she faces familial difference through her young adult life. We also follow Desiree and she deals with her missing twin sister, Stella. This story is a slow burn story that leaves you feeling good. This is a great summer read. 

7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo 

I have this book sitting on my shelf, ready to go after I finish Bridgerton. I am SO excited to dive into this one. We follow a big star and a reporter through drama, glam, heartbreak, ALL the Gossip Girl realness. This story brings in friend and family drama that is intertwined. If you love the old Hollywood aesthetic, this is one you should look out to read. Plus, I hear a movie is coming out soon…

It Ends with Us By Colleen Hoover

This is one of the most talked about books of 2022. If you are looking to cry your eyes out to a heart-wrenching tale of hurt, heartbreak, and loss, this is the one for you. Hoover is known for great, in-depth novels that leave you contemplating your whole life. As someone who loves to self-reflect, I am looking forward to getting into this story. This one seems to stick with you after you read it.

Where the Crawdads Sing By Delia Owens

With a movie coming out this year, this book has received raves since it came out. This is a suspenseful tale of murder and mystery while also giving us coming-of-age excitement. Reviews have it marked as a classic in the making. I haven’t read this one yet, but it is definitely on my summer to-do! Plus, the movie is coming out soon. Any movie starring Daisy Edgar-Jones with Taylor Swift on the soundtrack is worth the watch!

Nicole Bell is a fourth-year writing, rhetoric, and technical communication major with a women, gender, and sexuality studies minor. She is always with her cats, Doja Cat and Post Malone, and puppy, Aspen. She daydreams about when she will live in NYC.