3 Rules for Incorporating Bold Jewelry into Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Having been stuck in the endless polar vortex this past winter, spring’s return comes as a delightful rejuvenation from those bitter cold months. But being stuck in a world of boots, scarves, and sweaters, it wouldn’t come as a surprise if some of you collegiettes forgot how to style yourselves for the warmer weather. With spring comes bright and bold accessories, but some can seem like a risk if you are used to a more simplistic style. Here are three rules for successfully incorporating statement jewelry into your spring wardrobe and overcoming your fear of fun fashion!

1. Don’t be afraid of color.

The great thing about bold accessories is that they come in a bright array of colors. However, you may find yourself thinking that a neon green necklace or that orange bracelet won’t work well with many items in your closet. Think again. You’d be surprised by a lot of color combinations that turn out to be very eye-appealing. That neon green necklace? Pair it with a light blue blouse. And that orange bracelet would accent a purple skirt quite well. Almost any color combination works in fashion, especially if a lot of one color is just being accented by a small amount of another. Try to mix and match different colors and see what you come up with. Neons surprisingly compliment pastels and neutrals very well. However, bright colors like red and pink can also work together easily. Just remember not to incorporate too many different colors, or you could end up resembling one of those rainbow parachutes from your 5th grade gym class!

2. Focus on one standout accessory.

Once you start shopping for statement pieces to add to your jewelry collection, it’s easy to get caught up in all of the excitement. But that doesn’t mean you should pair all of your new accessories together. The goal of accessories is to embellish your outfit, not overpower it. You will want to choose one standout item to pair with your ensemble—any more than that and you will just have too much going on. Add a bib necklace to go with your white strapless dress. Or slip on a bubble bracelet with jeans and a cardigan. Even a statement ring can be used to accent a top tucked into a pencil skirt. If you want to add any more jewelry, keep it small and minimal. The overall idea here goes as follows: less is more.

3. A statement piece can bump up even the most basic outfit.

You open your stuffed-to-max-capacity closet every morning, sigh to yourself, and hopelessly proclaim, “I have nothing to wear.” Every girl has done this at some point in her life before. You know you have nice clothes, but you are just at the point of exhaustion with them. They may seem plain to you, but this is where the accessories come in. Bold statement pieces can amp up your go-to jeans and a white t-shirt or add something special to that monotone skirt and crop top. This is especially best for those mornings when you are short on time. Pull on your capris and your favorite chambray shirt, add a pair of flats and some statement earrings, and there you have it!

Keep these rules in mind on your next shopping trip, and share them with your friends in order to keep your fashion fresh and forward!

Yasmine is a senior at James Madison University majoring in writing, rhetoric and technical communication. Half-Italian and half-Palestinian, she was born and raised in Herndon, VA. Her favorite shows include New Girl, The Office, and Law and Order: SVU. During the school year, Yasmine writes for publications such as Potty Mouth, Port & Main Magazine, The Breeze, and Health Greatness, in addition to Her Campus. She is also involved in many clubs around campus, such as Muslim Student Association, SafeRides, and Make Your Mark On Madison. She has a passion for writing and hopes to begin her career as a fashion journalist after college.