This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Remember those warm spring days filled with floral and lace tops, bright-colored shorts, and neon skinny belts? Or what about those summer nights of white jean shorts, coral and turquoise statement necklaces, and sunny, blonde locks?

Fuggetabout ‘em! It’s time to make a new Pinterest board; for you are about to enter the sultry darkness of Autumn 2012. Rid your closet of brights and prepare for cold, windy, gothic nights! Here are the top beauty trends for Fall straight from the runway…

1. Dark Berry Lips
were on every model in Gucci’s Ready-to-Wear Fall 2012 fashion show. Makeup artist Pat McGrath described the models’ peroxided eyebrows and dark berry lips as “dark romance.” She applied gray, ebony, and brown pigments to the lips of models at other shows, even using a black eyeliner to line the lips of one model to give her burgundy lips a black cherry finish.

What To Do: Try black lip gloss instead of completely black lipstick. According to the makeup artist, Lisa Butler, you can blend MAC Lipmix in Black ($15) with its clear Lip Conditioner ($15). The result will not be a strong pigment and will give your lips a hint of darkness. You can also try a dark cherry lipgloss or Mary Kay Crème Lipstick in Boysenberry ($13).

2. Glamorously Goth is a new approach to going goth. Instead of dark eyelids, thick eyeliner, and messy brows, try natural eyeshadow and shades that are almost your skin color, bare eyelashes, and arched brows. Jewel tones work too! Try chocolate-y browns and wine shades.

What To Do: BareMinerals Eyeshadows 2.0 Eyecolor Duo ($20), MAC Cosmetics Paint Pot in Goundwork, or Mary Kay Cream Eye Color in Iced Cocoa will work just fine (pictured)!

3. Brunettes are the new blondes this season according to Luigi Murenu, the hair styling genius of Givenchy’s temporary chesnut glazes. He dubs brunette hair “the new goth.”

What To Do: John Frieda Brilliant Brunette ($10) is reasonably priced and shows up great!

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.