23 Unique Halloween Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

If you’re still on the hunt for a Halloween costume at this stage in the game, you’ve probably searched through dozens of articles and Pinterest boards with the same exact ideas. This list is an attempt to introduce some more offbeat costume options!

1. Unicorn

Not the most uncommon idea, but it can be done in so many ways!

2. JMU freshman

Throw on a free JMU tee, dig out your mappy, and top it off with a lanyard to be a character that all dukes can relate to. If you want a couple’s costume, bring a FrOG along with you!

3. Kylie Jenner

This is great for the lazy girls out there. Just pile on the lip liner, and you’re ready to go!

4. The Fantastic Four

This movie was not a hit at the box office, but the costumes would be a hit at a party!

5. Literal Miss America

You can throw on a ball gown if you’d like, but make the “Miss America” idea clever by dressing in red, white, and blue and throwing a sash on with your title!

6. Britney Spears “I’m a Slave 4 U”

Everyone jumps right to the school girl Britney costume, but if you really want to make an impression, show up with a fake python draped around your shoulders like the iconic VMA performance.

7. Taylor Swift “1989” cover

Cut out a polaroid square and frame your body like T. Swift in her famous album art! Write your initials and birth year at the bottom to customize.

8. Charli XCX “Sucker” cover

Not the best idea for any environment where no one will know what you are, but if you and your friends like/are familiar with Charli XCX, this is an amazing look to recreate!

9. 2015 Miley Cyrus

There are a few ways to approach this, but the Happy Hippie Miley Cyrus look is a good one to recreate without looking too crazy! A current Miley look that doesn’t require pouring glitter all over your face. 

10. Young Hillary Clinton

This won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but why not use Halloween to show some love for the ex-FLOTUS/ possible POTUS in her younger years?

11. Carrie Bradshaw and the “Sex and the City” gang

Have you ever had the desire to wear Carrie’s iconic tulle skirt but didn’t have an occasion? Here you are! If you’ve got a group of friends, do the rest of the girls too!

12. Devil’s “advocate” (and devil)

If you don’t want to go with the classic devil costume, get a friend to dress as one and then follow them around as a cheerleader or “advocate”! You can make a sign supporting them and everything. Get it?

13. Parent Trap twins

This one works well if you have a friend who resembles you in some way—even better if you have an actual twin. Dress as the twins while they are at camp for maximum success.

14. Salsa dancer emoji

You get to wear a nice red dress and have a hip pop culture costume!

15. “The Sandlot” Gang

This is perfect for a big group; you can assign each person a specific character or just tell everyone to wear baseball tees and caps!

16. JEANie

Like “genie” but with denim! This is your chance to wear denim-on denim-on denim!

17. 80s fitness instructor

You could just dress as a generic person from the 80s, but take it up a notch by being a fitness instructor! Jazzercise, maybe?

18. Coachella-goer

This is an excuse to wear all the crazy boho stuff you’ve never had reason to wear before! Add a Coachella pass to the outfit to ensure that people don’t mistake you for a generic hippie.

19. [Insert boy band/other musical artist here]’s biggest fan

Maybe you have a Justin Bieber shirt you bought ironically or maybe you went through a very serious One Direction phase—either way, break out all that gear and go as a crazed fan!

20. The Spice Girls with a seasonal twist

Impress/confuse everyone by adding a 6th member to the group: PUMPKIN SPICE. This idea works best if you and your group will be together at all times.

21. Flamingo

Skimpy animal costumes are common, but a flamingo is not one you see at most Halloween gatherings. Wear a pink leotard and a little tutu to capture the bird’s look. Stand on one foot all night, if you feel inclined.

22. Photo-op on the go

This is sort of a strange one. Attach a tapestry to your shirt and carry around a selfie stick. When someone wants to take a photo, have a person behind you hold the tapestry up.

23. Veruca Salt

Any of the “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” characters are great to dress up as, but Veruca’s iconic red dress is more flattering than an inflated blueberry suit. Carry a golden egg to drive the point home.

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.