This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

For the holidays, there’s nothing more exciting than sitting down to watch a good holiday movie. But there are many movies that feel like holiday movies but technically are not.

And no, this is list is not including Die Hard. 

1. Rise of the Guardians

Released in 2012, the movie centers around figures from childhood including the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus fighting alongside Jack Frost to save children around the world from evil. With many moments either about or with Father Christmas and the North Pole, as well as the theme of the love of childhood, this movie gives the warm and fuzzy feeling of the holidays.

2. IRON MAN 3

For all superhero fans, this Marvel movie centers around Tony Stark having to save his girlfriend Pepper Potts and deal with his personal demons all during the Christmas season. A spirited movie about heroism and self-acceptance with the right combination of jokes and serious material, this is a holiday movie for all ages.

3. LITTLE WOMEN

While only parts of the movie mention the holidays in any shape or form, this classic is based on themes of family strength and finding love. Based on Alcott’s novel, Little Women is able to capture the essence of the holidays and Christmas until the end.

4. MEAN GIRLS

An iconic teen movie for many reasons, this has arguably been one of the most recognizable Christmas scenes in the past couple of decades. Besides dancing to Jingle Bell Rock, this movie has the jokes, early 2000 nostalgia and the important Christmas theme of understanding and forgiveness. It’s so fetch! 

5. CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE

A winter wonderland, talking beavers and Santa himself! This movie, which is based on C.S Lewis’ second book in the series, is about the ultimate battle of good vs evil on a backdrop of a cursed winter land. With wholesome themes of family and love, this movie can be considered a holiday tradition. 

6. THE THIN MAN

As an older movie, The Thin Man is a film noir that focuses on the mysterious death of a family friend. The majority and climax of the film take place at a Christmas dinner, but the film’s romantic subplot gives a warm holiday feeling.

7. HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE

As the first Harry Potter movie, it’s one of the happier ones. While only a couple of scenes take place during Christmas itself, most of the movie is during the wintertime, bathing Hogwarts in snow. The blossoming friendships and good vs evil battle allow this movie to slip into the holiday playlist. The many fireplace scenes also heighten that cozy feel.

8. THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

A Wes Anderson comedy, this movie is surrounding a Hotel and the staff, specifically the lobby boy and concierge and the mishaps they get into. Anderson sets the events during the winter, with snow covering everything. The comedic character dynamic and innocent mishaps give the movie a lighthearted and sincere holiday tone.

9. PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES

A classic, this slapstick situational comedy centers on Neal Page, a stuck-up marketing executive trying to get home for the holidays with the help of a traveling salesman. While it takes place during the holidays, the themes of forgiveness and friendship help it feel like a classic.

10. LOVE , SIMON

A teen coming-out story, this movie has love as the theme front and center. While the events take place over a few months of the school year, probably one of the most climactic and heartwarming moments occurs on Christmas morning. Holiday themes of coming together and understanding helps emphasize this moment. 

You'll find Katharine either scrolling through the trivia section on IMDB, contemplating the meaning of life, or yelling at T.V. characters.