Why You Need to Vote in the Midterm Elections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

As you probably know, midterm elections are next Tuesday, November 6th. Typically, young voter turnout is pretty low, but this election could change that. You can change that. Every seat in the House of Representatives,  35 Senate seats, and 36 governor positions are up for re-election this cycle.

This election represents a crucial turning point in our country’s history. Florida, Georgia, and Maryland could elect their first black governor. Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New Hampshire could elect the first black Congressmen and women in their histories. The first Native American governor could be elected in Hawaii and Idaho. Two Native Americans could become Congresswomen. Michelle Lujan Grisham could become the first Latina governor in the country. Not only could this be a landmark election for racial minorities, but eight states could elect openly gay, lesbian, transgender, and bisexual Congressmen and governors as well.

More women are running for office than ever before. This year could become another “Year of the Woman.”  A historic number of women could occupy seats in Congress.

The Republican party currently holds the majority in Congress,  making it easier for Republican President Donald Trump to advance his political agenda. Democrats only need to gain 23 seats to shift control of the House of Representatives, though. There is a strong chance that this election could usher in a “Blue Wave,” but only if you go out and vote. Democratic control of the house would shake up the current political climate and make it more difficult for Donald Trump to institute regressive policies.

These historic changes are only possible if you make them happen, if you get out and vote for the first black governor, the first bisexual congressman, and the first Latina governor.

Legislation surrounding abortion rights, LGBTQ+ rights, education, healthcare, immigration, and environmental issues can all be affected by the outcome of this election.

If you’re worried about getting to the polls, there are many options. Lyft and Uber are offering discounted, or even free, rides to polling places. Use the code “biketovote” to get free bike rides using bike sharing companies on election day. Johns Hopkins is partnering with Lyft to offer free rides to the Enoch Pratt Free Library Waverly Branch using the code “2018HOPKINSVOTES.” If you can’t make it home in time to vote, you can always vote early or request an absentee ballot. Whatever you do, don’t wait. Your voice makes a difference. Your opinion matters. Be a part of history. Make an active change. Go vote! You can find out how and where to vote in your state at Turbovote.

Freshman at JHU, from Maryland