stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Take a Hike, Buddy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

While it’s nice to be surrounded by a city, sometimes the sky-high brick walls and constant sirens in the middle of the night in Baltimore fail to spark joy. It is so easy to feel bogged down by the lack of natural beauty, especially when the semester passes the midpoint and everything becomes even busier. Lately I’ve missed going on hikes and feeling breathless by the sublime beauty of nature.

This past weekend, I decided to go outside for a lovely hike and devote some timing to feeling rejuvenated by the cool crisp air. Gwynn Falls is a gorgeous park with short hiking trails only about twenty or so minutes away. After only ten minutes into the drive I could feel myself physically relax a little as the buildings became sparse and the trees became dense. It felt so calming to be surrounded by nature and hear the birds chirping and see deer prancing around the forest. I could even feel a warm breeze tickling my skin as I walked beneath the shining sun. My breaths felt long and relaxed as if I could finally get a deep breath in after holding my breath for so long. All my senses were heightened as I paid attention to all the wildlife roaming around me.

I hiked around for two or so hours just wandering the park and exploring everything that was to be seen. I felt inspired by all the gorgeous fall colors in the trees—the mellow yellow, vivacious red, and warm orange. Nothing can truly compare to the relaxation that a hike brings especially in such beautiful weather. Hiking definitely made me feel like I could once again take on the stressful life of college. I want to make a point to do more things that make me feel once again rejuvenated and ready to tackle all the challenges of life.

I think it is necessary to take a step back from life and just reflect and get out from under the pressure of stress. It’s important to remember that countless to-do lists and responsibilities do not truly satisfy our needs in life, and sometimes even take away from really enjoying life. The most meaningful experiences in life are often those that draw us away from daily life and force us to realize what really matters.