This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

As the stigma around sex slowly disappears, the cases of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) has risen.

According to newly published data by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), cases of gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis in particular have increased.

• In just four years, from 2013 to 2017, cases of gonorrhea increased 67%. Infections among men in particular have doubled, but cases for women also continue to grow.

• There were 1.7 million cases of chlamydia in 2017 alone, making it the most common STI. Women between the ages of 15-24 made up 45% of those cases.

• Cases of syphilis doubled between 2013 to 2017. Almost 70% of these cases involved gay or bisexual men.

The surge of new cases can be attributed to many factors. With modern technology, the tests for identifying STIs is more accurate and sophisticated, thus leading to more diagnoses. While testing has advanced, so has the resistance to treatment. Gonorrhea in particular has been exhibiting more resistance to the medicine azithromycin, which is one of two prescriptions used to treat the infection.

Many times, the STIs exhibit no symptoms, so the affected patient never goes in for testing. Without treatment, STIs can impair fertility and lead to other health conditions. The CDC recommends getting STI screenings at least once a year. Particularly among youth, doctors don’t require screenings, partially due to antiquated stigmas against teen sex. That means it’s in your hands to take initiative and ask to be tested.

This national trend is reflected right here in Baltimore. In Maryland, there were 44,967 cases of these three STIs alone in 2017. Cases of gonorrhea increased by 15 percent, syphilis by 12.3 percent, and chlamydia by 9 percent from 2013 to 2017.

In particular, men who have sex with men (MSM) and young women are making up a large portion of the cases. Although 15 to 24 year olds only composed 13% of  Maryland’s population, they accounted for 65% of chlamydia cases, 48% of gonorrhea cases, and 23% of syphilis cases in 2017.

This, in part, is due to the release of PREP, a drug that prevents HIV. Health experts predict that using this drug makes men feel protected against all STIs, which is not the case. Similarly, young women believe that being on birth control is protection against STIs.

The truth is that the only way to protect against STIs, other than remaining abstinent, is to use a condom.

The cost of healthcare continues to rise as funding for CDC and other programs to spread awareness of STIs shrinks. That’s why it’s crucial that teens and college students seek STI testing clinics and condom dispensaries. The Student Health and Wellness Center on the Homewood campus offers both for free, as well as the Baltimore City Health Department’s Druid STD Clinic.

With STIs on the rise, it’s common sense to spend that extra dollar, take that extra second, and use a condom.

Sources:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stds-on-the-rise-cdc-gonorrhea-syphilis-chlamydia-sexually-transmitted-diseases-record-levels/

https://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-std-increase-20180912-story.html

Freshman at JHU, from Maryland