Spring Time at Hop!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Happy spring, collegiettes! It feels like just yesterday that I was moving into my room in AMR II and wondering what life would be like here at Hopkins. How would I find friends? Would I be able to handle my coursework after a year of senioritis? What clubs should I join? Where could I get a job? I had a million different questions! Luckily, as life is wont to do, everything worked out and I found an amazing group of friends, clubs, and courses that I love—and now it’s already mid-April! I still can barely even believe I’m in college and suddenly it’s the end of spring semester? Where did the time go?!

Needless to say, this past year has been a whirlwind of amazing experiences. I’ve met truly awe-inspiring people and I am so glad that I am lucky enough to be able to learn with, befriend, and work with them. This past semester in particular has been crazy! Everybody says that spring at Hopkins is much better than any fall semester here, and after my first spring here, I have to agree. Since the start of this semester, I’ve gained over 150 lovely Pi Phis as my sisters, helped organize several successful events for my clubs, visited Montreal in -40°F weather (!) for a Model UN trip, helped run a conference for over 1800 high schoolers, almost gotten sunburn from napping on the Beach, and visited NYC for the Intercollegiate TASA East Coast Conference!

The sheer loveliness of the last few months was capped last weekend by Spring Fair 2013. In three days I managed to eat 2 funnel cakes, 4 deep fried oreos, 2 corn dogs, 2 orders of noodles, 2 smoothies, and 1 order of cheese fries! I also was pied over fifteen times in the face (by my friends and by little kids!) at the Pie A Pi Phi booth—we raised over 800 dollars for Baltimore literacy efforts! From the vendors with cool, handmade goods, to the food trucks filling the freshman quad, and the awesome local bands playing throughout the weekend, Spring Fair was a great way to blow off steam with my friends and get pumped for the good weather and my next spring at Hopkins.

Spring semester isn’t over yet though! There’s still a few weeks left until it’s time to go home, and those weeks are going to be jam packed with awesome experiences. This weekend is TASA’s annual Nightmarket event, where we’re going to have food, games, a photo booth, and live performances! Phi Mu’s Pastathon is also this weekend, and I can’t wait to go support my Phi Mu friends while eating delicious pasta and helping to raise money for the Katie Oppo Research Fund. On Sunday, my sorority is having a tea with a bunch of alumnae to celebrate our Founder’s Day! We’ve been around since 1867—that’s longer than Hopkins! Afterwards I’m heading to the UMBC Macklemore x Ryan Lewis concert, and I absolutely cannot wait. Who doesn’t love singing along to Thrift Shop? Answer: No one. Next weekend is the Homecoming game (go Blue Jays!) as well as two of my best friends’ birthdays, and my friends and I are planning on celebrating all weekend long. The week after that is the last week of classes and also the week of my sorority’s formal! Even with all of my final paper deadlines coming up and with all my presentations to prepare, I still cannot wait for the next few weeks. Happy spring, Blue Jays! Only a few weeks (of beautiful spring and awesome events!) until the semester is over—hang in there!