Style > Beauty

Sheet Masks: Unmask Your Glowing Skin!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

There’s nothing I love more than unwinding after a long day with a face mask and an episode of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, not just because it’s relaxing, but also because my skin will glow the next morning!

There are so many different types of face masks – sheet, clay, sleeping, the list goes on – but for the seventh step in the Korean skincare regimen, let’s focus on the classic sheet mask.

What are sheet masks?

Sheet masks are made of cotton or plant/synthetic fiber. They come in single-use packages and have lots of liquid left at the bottom after you use the physical mask.

There are many fun, themed mask packs – MISSHA, for example, makes some cute Yakult-esque yogurt sheet masks, milk carton sheet masks, and ice pop sheet masks!

What do sheet masks do?

If you’ve been keeping up with my series on Korean beauty, you’ll know that I like to think of sheet masks as being akin to a second round of essences. Different masks have different key ingredients, like manuka honey or tea tree oil or collagen, to treat different skin concerns.

With masks, you can target acne or wrinkles, focus on brightening, add moisture, and more! In addition to each spotlight ingredient’s benefits, every mask I’ve used has helped my skin glow the next morning.

What are some mask ingredients?

Each mask has one featured ingredient, like strawberry or pearl or ceramide. My favorites are lemon, aloe vera, and collagen!

Here are a few examples: Hyaluronic acid masks are great for locking in moisture. Collagen-focused masks plump the skin and tackle wrinkles, and I find them useful in reducing acne scars. Lemon and vitamin C-related masks are great for brightening and evening out skin tone.

Wow, masks sound awesome! How do I use them?

I recommend using a mask after you’ve used toner, essence, and spot treatments/serums (in that order). Masking after serums helps you lock in all that good stuff!

Take the mask out of the pack and drape it over your dry face, making sure that there are minimal air bubbles. Try your best not to laugh!

Once you’ve worn it for 10-15 minutes or until the cheeks of the mask are almost dry (whichever is first), you can take it off. Then, pat the product into your skin.

Once your face is almost dry, take a bit of the leftover liquid/essence at the bottom of the packet and pat it all over your face. Once it dries, repeat this step until the packet is empty.

I love sheet masks because I get the most out of my product. What you really want in a sheet mask is the liquid – I think of the cotton sheet as a way to deliver this valuable essence to the skin. By repeatedly applying the liquid, I feel like I’m doing multiple masks for the price of one!

Now that you’ve gotten the basics of sheet masks down, go out there and start masking like there’s no tomorrow! I love collecting fun masks and choosing which one to use!