Style > Beauty

Serums, Boosters, and Ampoules, Oh My: Use Them to Boost Your Glow!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Hyperpigmentation and acne scars have been the bane of my existence for years, especially before I learned about the Korean skincare routine. I would wash my face and moisturize religiously, but no matter what I did, my redness refused to fade.

Enter boosters, serums, and ampoules: key treatments for your skin. Using a serum was the key to fading my hyperpigmentation, but what is a serum? And why do we need three terms – won’t one suffice? It turns out that these three are different, so let’s break them down.

(image credit)

What’s a booster?

Just like what their name implies, boosters provide a boost for your skin. They make sure that your skin stays healthy!

Boosters also help improve the skin’s natural defenses against environmental hazards like pollution or irritants. Just like how people work better when they’ve slept and eaten enough, your skin will absorb your other skincare products better when it’s healthy; these other products will be more effective, giving you more bang for your buck! 

(image credit)

What’s a serum?

Do you struggle with acne? Scarring? Hyperpigmentation? Fine lines? Just like what Hannah Montana said in her famous song, nobody’s perfect – and nobody gets perfect skin without putting in some effort.

Serums are your best friend for targeting and tackling any specific skin issues. Different serums have different ingredients to treat different concerns, so let’s talk about a few extremely popular ingredients!

Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, works wonders at fading hyperpigmentation and improving acne scars. I can personally attest to this!

Tea tree oil is great at reducing blemishes – maybe you’ve heard of The Body Shop’s famous Tea Tree Oil serum.

Hyaluronic acid keeps your skin hydrated and plump; it’s perfect for maintaining moisture in your skin and helping you achieve that effortless glow.

(image credit)

What’s an ampoule?

An ampoule is a concentrated version of a serum – a “superhero” serum, if you will. It includes higher concentrations of ingredients than a serum does; these ingredients vary based on each ampoule’s targeted skin concern. Make sure you apply your ampoule before your serum!

How do I know when to apply which one?

Apply your treatments in order of general consistency. Pat on your most watery treatment first, then work your way up the consistency ladder; apply your thickest, richest treatment last. This also applies to all skincare products in general! Following this order makes sure that your skin will absorb all the goodies in these treatments.

Any final tips?

Whenever I apply a treatment, I like to pat it in and let it rest on my skin for a minimum of five minutes before I apply my next product. If I have time, I’ll let it rest for fifteen! I’ve seen a difference in effectiveness when I let a serum rest on my face for two minutes versus for five or ten minutes. My skin has more time to absorb it and looks healthier the next morning!