This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

If you want to change up your daily commute a little, try listening to one of these podcasts!

The History Chicks

This series is taped as a conversation between the two hosts, who work as writers for their day jobs. They explore famous women like Queen Victoria, Harriet Tubman, Cleopatra, and many more that you’ve probably never heard of – like Maria Montessori, who founded the flexible learning institutions that still bear her name. The hosts sometimes derail into tangents about their own lives, but never for very long, and it adds an intimacy to their show. 

Each episode is an hour-long and begins with a 15-second summary and a “drop into history,” where the hosts share what else is happening around the globe at that time. The pair is very conscientious of what they say – there is never any crude language, nor are there strong, violent or sexual themes. Nevertheless, the podcast offers thorough descriptions of amazing women’s lives and their accomplishments. I recommend starting with whomever you find most interesting, though some listeners complain about the quality of season one’s audio. 

Female Criminals

For those who want a bit more spice, Female Criminalsdoesn’t shy away from the violent and passionate lives of infamous women. The hosts incorporate a rich dose of psychology into their show, delving into complex topics like abuse, childhood trauma, and the consequences of low self-esteem. Each episode is an hour of packed suspense, sensuality, and burning mystery. 

My favorite episode was on the Everleigh sisters, Ada and Minna, who opened the most notorious and exclusive gentlemen’s club of the early 20thcentury. They offered dozens of women a better paying (and cleaner) alternative to the hazardous brothels of the time. The Everleigh sisters educated their “butterflies” in literature and the fine arts. They renovated a mansion with the plushest silks and finest chandeliers, and they opened their doors to only the richest men in town. 

Dog Tales

Puppy lovers unite! Every Monday the host (he’s British btw, *swoons*) releases a story about a heroic canine. From serving in Afghanistan to acting in glamorous Old Hollywood films to rocketing off to space, these pups have done it all. Each episode reads like a detailed script, so be prepared for a little creative license on the part of the host. 

I recommend the episode about Togo, the Siberian Husky who saved an Alaskan town from a diptheria outbreak. He and his team raced 260 miles across the frozen tundra in only three days to deliver a precious serum. During that time, Togo saved his owner and furry comrades from drowning in the frigid river after the ice broke beneath their sled. Dog Talesgives a marvelous look into the lives and minds of man’s best friend. If you didn’t love dogs before, you will now. 

The NewsWorthy 

It’s not history – yet! Host Erica Mandy is a former broadcast journalist who got tired of the talking heads and yelling matches on today’s news shows. Mandy offers a “fast, fair, and fun” rundown of all the day’s happenings, from politics to the economy and pop culture. Each episode is ten minutes long and comes out every weekday by 4am. It’s a quick and easy way to stay up to date, and those host’s enthusiasm will keep you engaged. There are special “additions” a few times a week, including “things to know Thursday” where an expert discusses a new topic every Thursday, and “Feel Good Friday,” where Mandy shares happy and inspiring stories. 

An aspiring writer with a love of cats, fitness, and chocolate.
I am a senior Computer Science and Cognitive Science student who is passionate about writing!