New York City Fashion Week: A Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

We’ve come a long way from the days when fashion shows were ultra exclusive events that were only accessible to celebrities and fashion industry insiders. Now with the onslaught of social media, the Internet, and mobile apps, anyone with a computer or cell phone can gain access to not only the runway shows, but also the frenzy of backstage preparations and the celebrity-filled after parties as well. It’s as if we were actually there! Thanks to Snapchat, you can follow NYFW through the lenses of models, designers, celebrities, and fashion insiders as they traverse through show after show after show. Looks from each designer are uploaded within 24 hours of the show to the Internet, as well as a frenzy of news articles detailing what happened where and who wore what to each show. But with over 25 designers showing 20+ looks from their collections across the span of 7 days, how do you keep track of it all? Here are some highlights from the week, in case you missed it!

1.                    Kanye West debuted Yeezy Season 2, his new clothing collection for his fashion line Yeezy.

Image via: http://nypost.com/2015/02/12/kanye-kicks-off-fashion-week-with-an-a-list-extravaganza/

In true Kanye fashion, his Yeezy show was a very last minute decision, disrupting the fashion week calendar and creating some backlash from other designers. He was also severely criticized by Cathy Horyn, renowned fashion critic for NY Mag. His aesthetic, from the structure of his show to his clothing, was definitely different from other designers at NYFW, but then again it’s Kanye. Models clad in various shades of camel and khaki marched in different groups segmented by skin color (organized from light to dark), to instructions from drill sergeants. Kylie Jenner (of course,) and Gigi Hadid, made appearances on the runway. I’m a little skeptical, but I guess his line seems legit – Vogue editor Anna Wintour and Givenchy designer Riccardo Tisci are supporters after all, and were in attendance at the show.

2.                    Supermodel and Victoria’s Secret Angel, Candice Swanepoel, face planted on the Givenchy runway.

Image via: http://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2016-ready-to-wear/givenchy/slideshow/collection#86

Yes, even enviously gorgeous girls have bad days. Candice tripped in the middle of the runway while walking during the Givenchy show on September 11th, skinning both her knees in the process. People seated by her immediately rushed onstage to help her, but she brushed them off and continued walking, like a true supermodel. Although countless articles documenting her fall flooded the Internet almost immediately after her embarrassing mishap, most of them applauded how well she was able to brush the fall off and keep going. You go girl, we still love you!

3.                    Opening Ceremony choreographed a show with the New York City Ballet.

http://www.fashionisers.com/fashion-news/opening-ceremony-spring-summer-2015-collection/

Opening Ceremony got creative this season. They sent models down the runway that unexpectedly broke into a choreographed ballet routine in the middle of the show, much to the surprise and amusement of the audience. What a smart way to not only engage audience members, but also stay memorable amidst hundreds of other shows taking place that week!

4.                    Diane von Furstenberg debuted her “Fortuna” collection, celebrating the empowerment of women.

Image via: http://www.womenmanagement.com/diane-von-furstenberg-ss-2016-show/

DVF can do no wrong in my opinion. Her star-studded show had models like Gigi and Bella Hadid, Lily Aldridge, Lindsey Wixson, Karlie Kloss, Jourdan Dunn, and Kylie Jenner sashaying down the runway to upbeat songs by artists like Nicki Minaj and the Weeknd. Inspired by Fortuna, the Roman Goddess of luck and freedom, DVF’s collection contained a multitude of feminine fabrics and colors like a pink silk and chiffon wrap dress. To close out the show, Diane came out onto the runway, shaking hands with her guests and throwing her hands in the air in celebration. Nothing quite says female empowerment like that.

5.                    The Fat Jew curated a “dadbod” show for NYFW.

Image via: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3238992/Real-fathers-strut-stu…

Yea, you heard that right. Josh Ostrovsky, or the Fat Jew as he is more readily known, featured real dads modeling “dadbod clothes” on the runway during NYFW. A hilarious and lighthearted riff on standard industry shows, the show was a way for the Fat Jew to create an all-inclusive event that featured an array of normal individuals (his models were found from a Craigslist ad he put out.) It was also, apparently, a jumping-off point for a future collection he wants to design himself. (We’ll see about that one.)

Now that NYFW has drawn to a close, and New York City has resumed back to its normal travails, all eyes turn to London as fashion week begins there. 

Victoria is a senior at Johns Hopkins studying Economics and Marketing & Communications.
Megan DiTrolio is a writing seminars major at Johns Hopkins University.