This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Written by Lauren Padilla

On the Johns Hopkins Homewood Campus, the “Hopkins Bubble” is alive and well. Although Hopkins’ location allows students easy access to nearly every corner of Baltimore, many never venture past Brody. The same mentality frequently applies to students’ dining approaches with pre-packaged salads and instant waffles composing a large portion of the undergraduate diet. Fortunately, just ten minutes north of Homewood is Namaste Baltimore, a family-owned Indian restaurant and a promising alternative to late-night ramen dinners.

With its white linen tablecloths, dangling velvet lanterns, and dark wood tables, Namaste is ideal for customers seeking a relaxed-yet-elegant experience. The restaurant hosts a full bar and a combination of booths and tables—creating an atmosphere suitable for a range of guests. On a given Sunday afternoon, one can find families, couples, and students seated in the Namaste dining room.    

The restaurant’s generalist approach also applies to its menu. Namaste offers both meat-based and vegetarian options. Namaste’s meat-based appetizers and entrees are extensive. Those more hesitant towards Indian cuisine will appreciate the Chicken Pakora, a dish of chicken pieces battered in chickpea flour. Essentially an Indian version of chicken tenders, the plate is very simple. And, though it doesn’t burst with exotic spices or flavorings, it also doesn’t burn taste buds. More adventurous eaters will appreciate Namaste’s Mirch Tikka. Served on a sizzling stone platter, the dish looks appealing even before the first bite. Made with spicy green chili and green peppers, it is very hot. Luckily, the seasonings do not overwhelm the savory tenderness of the chicken itself.  

Those wishing to avoid meat at Namaste can choose between more basic plates like Chana Masala and Vegetable Samosas and an assortment of more uncommon dishes. The Chaat Papri, combining “homemade wheat chips, diced potatoes, onions and chickpeas with whipped yogurt and tangy tamarind sauce,” is one of the more unusual vegetarian dishes available. The tartness of yogurt mixed with the crunchiness of the salted chips results in an unexpectedly pleasant combination. Because the dish is served cold, those unfamiliar with the recipe may find the first bite a bit unsettling. However, after a couple tastes, it becomes more enjoyable.

Namaste’s best dish, however, is its Gulab Jamun. The menu describes the dish as “deep fried milk curd balls in sweet syrup.” Despite its polarizing description, these warm, incredibly-sweet, bite-sized desserts really just taste like honey-soaked donut holes.

Many Hopkins students may not be able to dine at Namaste on a regular basis (entrees are priced from $12.99 to $18.99). However, as a treat, Namaste Baltimore is, overall, worth journeying outside the bubble for.