Making The Most Of Your Sophomore Year Meal Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

To-Go Boxes Are Your Friend

Think you’re America’s Top Chef? Once exams and essays kick in, scrambling for dinner often feels like an episode of Chopped. Since when did I buy an onion, and can go with this shriveled spinach? I advise testing it on your roommates first…

Just kidding. In all seriousness, my method is to fill a box with chicken breasts. I put them in individual ziplocs and store them in the freezer. When I need a bit of protein for my salad, or even a hasty dinner, I pop them in the microwave for 3 minutes. They come out warm, already seasoned (depending on what the FFC was doing that day!), and ready to go with minimal effort.

If you’re an egg person, snatching a few from the Omelet bar is your best bet. Char Mar charges an outrageous amount for a paltry six eggs. Six! Instead, place a folded napkin at the bottom of a to-go cup, and one on the side for extra padding. You can easily fit two eggs – three, if you walk very carefully.

The Gluten Free Fridge

Ah, the secret fridge. Located behind the faulty speakers, in front of the cereal bar, hides this treasure trove of treats. Donuts, cake loafs, and even cookies nestle inside. Each is individually wrapped, so it’s easy to pop a few in your bag without a mess. Just be sure to keep these goodies refrigerated, as they easily get stale.

All Hail the Secret Yogurt Fridge

In keeping with the theme of hard-to-find FFC gems, the dairy free section (by the cereal) has individual yogurts. It isn’t stocked often, but if you’re lucky, you can find coconut or soy-based yogurts in a range of flavors from lime to chocolate. These are great for a quick snack – just snag some disposable spoons on your way out.

Fruit.

I live off of fruit. I can eat a box of strawberries in one sitting, and have to buy at least three pineapples since I know I’ll eat one while cutting them up!

But if you’re price conscious, buying fruit from stores like Mom’s or Giant is not your best bet. A bag of grapes runs anywhere from $1.99 to $2.99 a pound, meaning you could easily spend ten dollars on a single bag! For me, that’s less than two days’ worth of juicy goodness.

Instead, stuff a to-go box. I cram mine so full the lid curves as it struggles to close. Once I get back to my kitchen, I divvy up the fruit into containers – lest I eat it all in one shot.

Lastly…

*Not* that the following is recommended (since I can’t condone such behavior), but hypothetically, if you’re feeling especially brave, sneak a few of your own Tupperware containers next time you dine-in. Just be careful about how frequently you go up to the fruit bar with a fresh plate. Wait ten minutes in between trips, or send a friend. Again, divvy up your haul once you get back, you’ll be surprised by how many servings you can get.

An aspiring writer with a love of cats, fitness, and chocolate.