This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

So I’ve been in college for a little over a month now. Things are going great (ish) and I’ve almost finished my first round of midterms! Now, it’s clearly not all rainbows and sunshine because it is college and it is Johns Hopkins. I’ve learned some things and I even started making a list of things to do and not to do, or what I call “life reminders.” What I’m about to share with you is what I’ve learned through experience and just from being around my friends. 

1.Bring your essentials with you everywhere: 

I’m going to say that the first life reminder is actually to just take your phone, your key, and your J-card with you LITERALLY everywhere you go. I’ve been locked out a few times and my poor roommate has to deal with my distressed self whenever I forget my key inside my room.I really recommend buying those wallet card holders that you can stick onto the back of your phone, and you can put your J card in one of the compartments and your key in the other. It’s also convenient for when you’re going out so that you have everything you need in one place. 

2.Don’t splurge on full-price spiritwear if you don’t have to: 

When your parents are visiting, I totally recommend going to the Barnes & Noble store and buying a hoodie or a tee, but as a student, always always always look at the sale boxes and racks, and even check out a thrift store near you. I went to Goodwill last week and bought a ~vintage~ Johns Hopkins Lacrosse sweatshirt for 7 bucks. 7!!! I could buy 7 sweatshirts at the Goodwill for the price of one at the bookstore. And believe me, not everything in the sale section is damaged goods; you just need to look. 

3.Explore Baltimore!:

Charm City is absolutely amazing because it has the perfect amount of green spaces and urban vibes while also having tons of culture. The city isn’t too large or mainstream, and there are so many neighborhoods to explore. My personal favorites are Fells Point, Hampden, and Federal Hill. So yes, save up some money and go to that amazing Thai restaurant with your friends. It feels nice to get out of the Hopkins bubble, and you can get back to campus feeling refreshed and ready to study again (or maybe not).  

4.Take care of yourself, whatever that means to you: 

College is stressful, and especially during this past week, I’ve been needing lots of self care. You can do a face mask or meditate, but you could also not do work for an hour, take a nap, or exercise (I’m personally a fan of taking naps). Pro-tip: If you’re going to take a nap, always set an alarm and make sure that you have a few hours to spare in case you decide not to wake up when your alarm goes off or are a deep sleeper (aka me). I once planned on taking a 20 minute power nap, and ended up sleeping for 4 and a half hours. Just be prepared for anything as far as naps go. :) 

5. Don’t be pressured into knowing what you want to do with your life: 

Yes, I know, every guidance counselor and academic advisor out there has said this to you, but personally, I really think it is so important to remind yourself of this. Right now, I’m a public health major, but I might switch to engineering or become a writing sems major. I’m not pre-med, but I might make the switch. One of my friends majoring in neuroscience is thinking about switching to Islamic Studies and pre-law, so there really are endless possibilities. Learning to be present and mindful about where you are in college is essential in making your education the most valuable experience it can be.  

I remember these tips on a weekly basis, and I totally recommend making a notes sheet yourself on your phone so you can remind yourself of the important things and have them all together. I mean, it’s just college – how bad can it be?  

Laís Santoro is a freshman at JHU studying Public Health and Environmental Studies (possibly minoring in Anthropology, we'll see). She is a climate justice organizer with Sunrise Movement, and heads many justice and sustainability efforts on campus for plant-based eating and food justice. Laís can be seen going from meeting to meeting non-stop, not getting enough sleep, or telling people about how much she loves the color yellow.