Fusiontempura And Shrimp Tacos
Fusiontempura And Shrimp Tacos
Tiffany Meh / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Over Intersession, renovations of Levering Kitchens occurred. Out with the pizza, wrap, and salad station, and in with the tacos and Mediterranean bowls. Brand new flashy white tiling, shiny stone countertops, and bright televised menus now line Levering and lines wrap up and down the building during peak lunch hours as students eagerly wait to try the new options.

Butterfly Tacos and Tortas 

Launched as a new fast-casual spin-off of celebrity chef Jose Andres’ other award-winning restaurants, Butterfly offers Mexican street cuisine with restaurant-quality preparations. Choose from a variety of tacos that include Yucatan-style barbecued pork, chile beef, and marinated chicken. For $7.99, three tacos are served in a cute little stand. 

For the same price, tortas with crispy chicken breast or grilled mushrooms are also available on freshly toasted bread and come topped with Oaxaca cheese, guacamole, black bean spread, and serrano salsa. Extra salsa is available on the side for dipping.    

There are also plenty of vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options. Corn tortillas can be substituted for flour ones on any taco order and fresh made-to-order salad bowls come with the option of cilantro-lime dressing. 

Fresh tortillas and chips are made in house daily and are served with a variety of salsas and fresh guacamole. Butterfly also offers freshly squeezed juice drinks, including a Hibiscus infused tea.   

Make your own Mediterranean 

The salad bar in Levering has been drastically updated to have a Mediterranean flair. Starting with your base, choose from brown rice, farro, quinoa, spinach, spring greens mix, or a mixture of any of the two options. Then choose up to three sauces. Options include Tahini, Tzatziki, hummus, spicy hummus, feta cheese crumbles, and caesar dressing. Next pick from falafel, chicken, marinated tofu, or meatballs for extra protein. Finish off your bowl with up to five other toppings, including olives, pita chips, corn, pickled onions, cucumber, peppers, and other freshly chopped vegetables. For $7.69 plus the cost of your protein, a bowl from the Mediterranean place proves to provide a lot of food for under $10. 

While lines are currently long during the lunch rush and the wait for tacos pushes twenty minutes, Hopkins has done a nice job of bringing in new fresh lunch options on campus in a bright new environment. While I do miss the wrap station, I feel that the two new options cater well to current food trends and students’ interests. The long lines seem to indicate tasty food and a successful renovation for Levering Kitchens.

I am a senior at Johns Hopkins University majoring in Biophysics. Here at Hopkins I am also a member of the Varsity Track & Field team, am involved in Biophysics research, and volunteer on the Medical Campus. I enjoy traveling, cooking, snowboarding, and anything outdoors.