JHU Rocky Horror Co-President, Zoe Demko ‘17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

1. Name: Zoe Demko

2. Major, Year: double major in Public Health Studies and Biology, Junior

3. Hometown: Detroit, Michigan

4. Affiliated with: Kappa Alpha Theta

5. You can probably find me… speed walking somewhere on campus. I’m constantly running around!

6. The best thing about Hopkins is… that it allows me to be a scientific researcher, a sorority girl and a theater geek, all at once!

7. Something I’m especially proud of is… my public speaking. I love speaking in any context I can, including competing, performing and coaching others. I’m particularly proud of having helped co-found a speech program at a local charter middle school back in Detroit.

8. Something most people don’t know about me is… that I’m so obsessed with American jazz that I have a tattoo in tribute to it!

9. This year, I hope to… become an officer in my sorority, head to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, this summer for my research project on tuberculosis and get at least 7 hours of sleep on weeknights!

10. In five years, I will be… in grad school, or working or traveling… or all three!

11. Next up for me is… my next Rocky Horror show, a Powderpuff football tournament and going home to visit my family for the first time in a year.

12. Relationships Status: I’m currently dating a charming biomed engineer (we watch hockey together—it’s perfect).

13. What are you dressing up as for Halloween?

This year I’m torn between Holly Golightly, Lara Croft and Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

14. What can you tell us about Rocky Horror? The Rocky Horror Picture Show is a film from 1975 that has developed an international following over the last 40 years. It follows the story of a newly engaged couple as they encounter a bizarre band of musical alien androids. We perform a shadow cast of the show, which entails us acting out the film while it is projected behind us—with our own additions, of course! Audience participation is greatly encouraged, and the show is always very high-energy with an offbeat, sexy attitude. JHU Rocky Horror also uses our shows as an opportunity to educate audiences on consensual and healthy relationships in an engaging and sexy way, because consent is sexy!

15. How did you get involved with Rocky Horror? I started going to Rocky shows in high school, and I loved the atmosphere immediately. When I saw there was a troupe at Hopkins, I went to their first show of the season at orientation, and I’ve been in it ever since.

16. What should readers know about Rocky Horror’s Halloween show? The show is in Arellano Theater in Levering Hall. Doors open at 11:30 p.m. on Halloween, this Saturday, and the show starts at midnight! Get there early, because we sell out fast. The show is free for your first time, $2 in costume and $4 general admission.

17. What else do you want our readers to know? I hope to see all of you at Rocky this weekend, and I’d also like to do a shout-out to JHU Barnstormers, who are putting on The Mousetrap in Swirnow Theater this weekend, as well!

Megan DiTrolio is a writing seminars major at Johns Hopkins University.