How to Survive the Freshmen Plague

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

The daunting Freshmen Plague. It spreads like a wildfire, and no matter how hard you try to avoid it, you’re more than likely going to catch it. Just like the Bubonic Plague that wiped out most of Europe in the 12th century, within the first month of classes most students at Hopkins have fallen ill to the dreaded Freshmen Plague. So, rather than telling you how to avoid getting sick at the beginning of your freshman year (or any of your four years, really), here are some tips on how to survive the dreadful and awful sickness that you WILL get (sorry to bear the bad news).

1) Take Medicine

Firstly, as soon as you start feeling sick take medicine! The earlier you attack the plague the shorter amount of time you’ll spend being sick. You’re probably thinking: yea duh that’s common sense. But most of the people I know wait until they can’t get out of bed to have one of their true friends run to Char Mar to buy medicine for them (or in my case, have an amazing roommate that lets you take half of her box of Tylenol Cold pills). Remember to follow instructions on the box, so if it says to take one pill every six hours, take it every six hours and not once a day to ensure you’ll be sick for less time.

2) Get Rest

One of the best things you can do for yourself while sick is to sleep. Make sure you get a ton of rest (but try to still make it to class if you can, because I mean, we already paid for it and you don’t want to miss anything important).  So instead of not going to class, stay in that Friday or Saturday night, watch some Netflix, and go to sleep early. Your body will thank you for it later (and so will your grades).

3) Get Nutrients  

When you have the Freshman Plague, eat and drink anough to rebuild or strength—especially anything that’s hot if your throat hurts. The American classic, chicken noodle soup, is always a go-to for something to warm you up. Hot drinks are also a go-to. My personal favorite on campus is the London Fog, a tea I get from the café in Levering or The Daily Grind. I’ve also heard that the Milky Way Espresso at The Daily Grind is delicious because it pretty much tastes like liquid chocolate (and it will warm you up when you’re shivering with a cold). So just cheer yourself up by trying a bunch of different lattes and mochas!

4) Take a Hot Shower

Taking hot showers does wonders for you, especially if you’re congested, because the steam opens up your airways, allowing you to breathe. If you take a hot shower right before you go to sleep, you might be able to escape the uncomfortable mouth breathing you’d otherwise have to do as you’re trying to fall asleep, leading to better quality sleep (see tip number 2).

5) Carry a Tissue EVERYWHERE

Carry Kleenex wherever you go! Pack a portable tissue pack in your backpack so that your nose isn’t leaking everywhere. It’s also pretty awkward when you’re sitting in class and sniffling every two seconds because your nose is running and no one around has Kleenex. Avoid the sleeve and carry a tissue—trust me.

Living in such close proximities of your friends and classmates in the freshman dorms is definitely a catalyst for the spread of the Freshman Plague, so be prepared and defend yourself as you experience one of your many memorable moments at Hopkins.

Photos: http://dailygrindnc.com/, http://www.mucinex.com/products/sinus/max-strength-mucinex-d/

Megan DiTrolio is a writing seminars major at Johns Hopkins University.