How Does Social Media Influencer Culture Marginalize Creators of Color?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

TikTok is a popular video-sharing social media app used to circulate short, lip-synced dance or comedy videos. I am the last person to be up to date on TikTok trends, but even I know the Renegade dance that populates the app. What recently piqued my interest is that the creator of the dance, 14-year-old Jalaiah Harmon, choreographed the moves and is only now getting credit and recognition. Why?

TikTok users will know that the dance was popularized by TikTok star Charli D’Amelio, a 15-year-old girl who rose to fame very quickly due to her videos. D’Amelio is part of a group called the Hype House, a group of Gen Z TikTok stars who film videos in a Los Angeles house. All of these stars are young social media personalities who, because of their newfound fame, receive deals with brands to go to and perform at popular events like the Super Bowl. Like all social media influencers, they are a savvy group of young adults that understand the industry and their audience well.

I don’t fault them for doing what I would do if I had the same opportunity. But when I look at the Hype House and compare it to Jalaiah Harmon’s much-delayed credit, I can’t help but notice the privilege that white, wealthy teens have over creators of color like Jalaiah. I support all young entrepreneurs taking advantage of the resources they have, but teenagers like D’Amelio bursting with new opportunities for copying a trend compared to Harmon, the original creator, shows that the influencer culture makes creators of color work harder for the same benefits. This culture is not new, we have a history of privileged groups appropriating black artists and black culture and, in turn, getting more positive attention. 

Now that Harmon has finally received recognition for her choreographed dance, she is also getting great opportunities. She performed, along with D’Amelio and other TikTok stars, her dance at the NBA All-Star Game and she recently appeared on the Ellen show. While this delay in credit may seem like a small issue, even I, as someone who isn’t a TikTok fanatic, recognize the negative implications of this issue.

I am a senior Computer Science and Cognitive Science student who is passionate about writing!