Hopkins Advertising Class Launches Cultural Inclusion Campaign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

In the political climate that we’ve found ourselves in in 2017, it has become even more vital to remember the importance of acceptance, and to remember that we all can do our part to put a stop to the rise of violent extremism in our country.

The students in the Advertising & Integrated Marketing Communications class at JHU have stepped up to the challenge. Shirley Wang, a junior at Johns Hopkins University, reached out to HerCampus to tell us about Professor Leslie Kendrick’s class and their mission. They have created a student-run advertising agency called Stratejays Marketing, participating in the Peer2Peer: Challenging Extremism Competition. The goal of this campaign is to “combat violent extremism in the age of social media.” They hope to do this “with peace and cultural inclusiveness and to find strength in our inherent differences rather than finding conflict.” Your fellow blue jays are partnering with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, along with 60 other domestic schools, to take advantage of social media’s power in the battle against extremism and hatred. 

It may not seem clear why social media would help in this endeavor, but often we forget how incredibly powerful our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts can be. The target audience of this campaign is the same target audience of violent extremism: the uncommitted populations who haven’t taken any stand, the silent majority, the civic-minded, and at-risk youth who could be vulnerable to violent extremist ways of thinking.

And you know what all those people have? Facebook accounts.

Social media has become one of the main ways in which violent extremists communicate, so the students in Professor Kendrick’s class have decided that the best way to combat this way of thinking is to take the mission of peace to their platform.  “The challenge seeks to be a party of that solution by empowering the very people violent extremists are trying to recruit – young people – to provide an alternative to hate and violence.”

You might be wondering what a bunch of privileged kids from Johns Hopkins know about any of this stuff anyway, but Stratejays Marketing has a very specific goal: to foster inclusion.

“Our class, and Hopkins especially, consists of a diverse group of people with vastly different life experiences and this should be cause for celebration,” Stratejays Marketing tells us. “Across our advertising class, students come from many countries, ethnic and religious backgrounds, and speak many different languages. We are encouraging students to be open to all types of cultures and experiences in an effort to make everyone feel as though they are a part of something.”

How are they planning on achieving this? Through the “We Welcome ___” Campaign, Stratejays Marketing will show the world how much we need cultural inclusion.

And yes, you can get involved.

The “We Welcome ___” Campaign will begin at the end of March, and there will be three weeks of activities on Johns Hopkins Homewood Campus with food, music, and ways to learn more about cultures and ethnicities you might not have much experience with.

Friday March 31, 5:30-7:00 p.m.

“We Welcome You”

You can celebrate diversity at the Athletic Center Field at a tailgate before the lacrosse game against Rutgers. Stratejays Marketing, along with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, will be providing culturally diverse appetizers, music, cultural trivia games, and free giveaways!

Thursday, April 6, 3:00-6:00 p.m.

“We Welcome Thirst for Culture”

On the beach you can celebrate the (hopefully) beautiful spring weather with some cultural drinks!

Saturday, April 8, 3:00-4:30 p.m.

“We Welcome Cultural Movement”

Stratejays is partnering with the Ladybirds, Hopkins’ official dance group, in order to promote diversity during their kickoff spring showcase. You could receive free giveaways!

Tuesday, April 11, 8:30-10:00 p.m.

“We Welcome Diverse Desserts”

Take your study break to Q level for culturally diverse desserts, educational trivia, and even more giveaways!

Wednesday, April 12, 5:30-7:30 p.m.

“We Welcome Global Tastes”

CUluturally diverse foods will be served at the FFC, which is super convenient for the underclassmen. Juniors and seniors should recruit some of your younger friends to help you out with dining dollars for this delicious event.

The “We Welcome___” campaign will be starting tomorrow, and you’ll hear more about it as the first event draws nearer. If you want more information, you can check out the website here. Be sure to pat your friends in Stratejays Marketing on the back for launching this incredible mission!

JHU student, track runner, Alpha Phi sister, and coffee drinker