absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall Festivities Beyond Baltimore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Despite the 90 degree days, it is officially fall in Baltimore. Pumpkins Spice Lattes have rolled out, leaves have begun to change, and the FFC has pumpkin spice cream cheese. Being from the midwest, where corn mazes and pumpkin patches are staples of the season, a Baltimore fall in the city leaves quite a bit to be desired. To get my full fall experience I made the short trek out of the Hopkins bubble to Rogers Farm. 

Located about twenty minutes from campus in Stevenson, Maryland, Rogers Farm has everything a fall lover could ever want. Upon arrival, you are welcomed into a grassy knoll surrounded with hay-bale lined fences, stacked with pumpkins of all shapes in sizes. With a plethora of fall and farm activities, Rogers Farm has something to offer to everyone and is sure to get you into the fall spirit. 

Attractions:

• Corn Maze:

• With over a mile of corn maze trail, race your friends through the maze, and see who gets out first. This year’s corn maze is cut into an array of emoji images and the design of the maze varies from year to year. 

• Hay Ride: 

• A tractor-drawn hayride pulls you through a loop around the property and through the pumpkin patches. Take in all the fall sights as you move peacefully through the colorful trees and scan the pumpkin patch for the perfect pumpkin as you pass by. 

• Farm Animals:

• The farm also offers a small petting zoo and has cows, pigs, turkeys, chickens, sheep, and horses. When I went there were new piglets that were chasing each other around their pen. If you’re lucky you may get to feed some of the corn feed they make locally on the farm. 

• Pumpkin Patch: 

• You are able to pick your own pumpkin from the patch or select from hundreds of other squashes, gords, and fresh produce. Spend time walking through the patch and look for the perfect pumpkin or sort through the bins of pre-picked mini pumpkins and gords to find some fall decorations. 

• Food and Beverages: 

• Refreshments can be purchased from a small stand on the property. Choose from an assortment of pumpkin and apple spice flavored treats. From homemade apple cider donuts and pumpkin muffins, to breakfast sandwiches and kettle corn, there is a snack sure to feed your fall cravings. Treat yourself to a piping hot apple cider if the weather is chilly. 

And of course, before you leave make sure to take a photo in the corn on the cob cut out! Check out the farm before it closes on November 3rd and make the most of this fall season. 

I am a senior at Johns Hopkins University majoring in Biophysics. Here at Hopkins I am also a member of the Varsity Track & Field team, am involved in Biophysics research, and volunteer on the Medical Campus. I enjoy traveling, cooking, snowboarding, and anything outdoors.