Fall Into Baltimore: 4 Charm City Must-Do’s for the Autumn Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Leaves are crunching, pumpkins are growing, and sweater weather is almost upon us. This fall, take a step into Baltimore and check out some of these “charming” activities that only come around once a year.

Cheer on the Ravens at a Home Game

Fall and football go hand-in-hand. Make your way down to the M&T Bank Stadium to support Baltimore’s beloved team.

To see the Ravens’ schedule for the season, go to http://prod.static.ravens.clubs.nfl.com/assets/pdfs/gameday/2014_Ravens_Schedule_Print.pdf

Visit the Farmers’ Market

Farmers’ markets aren’t just for the summer – the fresh produce, plants, and yummy breads and pastries carry right on through to December. For the closest market to campus, look to the 32nd Street Farmers’ Market, open on Saturdays on the corner of E 32nd and Barclay Streets, next to the Waverly Giant. For a wider selection and additional craft and food vendors, take the bus downtown one Sunday to the Baltimore Farmers’ Market, located underneath the Jones Falls Expressway.

Check Out Free Fall Baltimore

Each year for the past nine years, Baltimore has ushered in the fall with an abundance of cultural activities – everything from music and dance performances, festivals, and theater workshops to museum tours and historical and literary lectures – all completely free to the public. This year, over 300 separate events have been scheduled for the month of October.

To see everything that’s happening with Free Fall Baltimore, take a look at their website: http://www.freefallbaltimore.org/

Go Pumpkin Picking

This one might require some driving, but it wouldn’t be fall without pumpkins picked right from the patch. Rodgers’ Farms in Greenspring Valley and Sharp’s at Waterford Farm are ranked among Baltimore’s best pumpkin patches; located just outside the city, both offer pumpkin picking beginning in early October. If you’re looking for more than just pumpkins, Applewood Farms in Harford County features a full range of fall activities, including hay rides and a corn maze, and Weber’s Cider Mill Farm also produces their own apple cider and delicious baked goods. 

However you decide to do it (and there’s a wide variety of options), be sure to take the time this fall to get out of the library and celebrate the season!