Event Recap: TEDxJHU Speakers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

TEDxJHU Overview:

On March 10th, TEDxJHU organized an event with nine powerful speakers (two of which were part of TEDxJHU’s first ever joint talk!)

Below is a quick overview of who they are: 

1. George Mwinnyaa: As a community health worker born and raised in Ghana, West Africa, George provided necessary health services like vaccines and malaria nets to underserved populations. George is now a public health student at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg school of Public Health.

2 & 3. Katerina Jeng and Krystie Mak: Due to the lack of Asian American media, Katerina Jeng and Krystie Mak founded Slant’d, a media company that celebrates Asian Americans and storytelling. Slant’d launched its first issue in 2017 and has created a community that defies stereotypes through story telling. 

4. Mina is a Korean-American media artist who lives between Korea and the United States. She has exhibited her political pop art, known as “Polipop” internationally, which is inspired by global news and media. Check out her art in the Baltimore Museum of Art today!

5. Sapna Kudchadkar is pediatric doctor and anesthesiologist at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. As the director of the Johns Hopkins PICU Up! Early Mobilization Program, Kudchadkar creates healing environments for children in the hospital. Her program focuses on integrating movement into the hospital routine during the children’s recovery. 

6. Schuyler Bailar is the first openly transgender athlete to compete in a sport on an NCAA Division 1 men’s team. He was one of the nation’s top 20 15-year-old breast strokers and set a national age group record two years later. Schuyler spoke about his difficult choice to transition while being a highly competitive athlete.

7. Dr. Jordan J. Green is an Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, Ophthalmology, Oncology, and Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University. 

8. René Vidal, a world leader in computer vision, is a professor in the department of Biomedical Engineering at the Johns Hopkins University with secondary appointments in Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering.

9. Aaron Maybin is a 29-year-old Art-Activist and former professional football player for the Buffalo Bills and Penn State. He is from Baltimore, MD and he made the decision to walk away from football to pursue a career as a professional artist and activist while organizing and educating his community. 

Student, runner, and lover of all things sports!