Election Night at Hopkins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Election night is rapidly approaching, and all across the country, people are gearing up to vote. For some students, this will be their very first time voting, and although it is quite a big step it doesn’t come without some trepidation. For some people, the results of the midterm election are even more important than those of presidential election years. A lot of important issues are being tossed around during these midterms. For this reason, election night can be a time of both excitement and anxiety. Many students at Hopkins are watching politics unfold from outside of  their home state and being away from the action can be a source of unease for a lot of them. In our political climate, it is easy to become overwhelmed by uncertainty surrounding the upcoming elections. So, for those of you who don’t want to spend election night alone or want an outlet for expressing your feelings about the results, here are three things you can do on campus or around Baltimore on election night!

Canvas:

Even though this may seem like an ambitious move, if you are free most of the day on Tuesday, you can help candidates canvas until the polls close! Find out if your preferred candidate is hosting any events. This can be a fun way to get involved up until the last minute and really contribute.

For example, canvassing in East Baltimore is happening up until November 6th, and several candidates are still taking volunteers for their phone bank!

Midterm Elections Watch Party:

This event is being held at Levering Lounge at 8:00 pm on election night, and it is being cosponsored by many different clubs on campus, including the International Studies Leadership Council, IDEAL, and European Horizons. This event is for those of you that may be stressed about the results and don’t want to wait for them alone!

Midterm Discussions:

This one isn’t actually on election night, but the day after. On Wednesday, the office for Diversity and Inclusion as well as the Center for Health Education and Wellness (CHEW) is hosting this event to discuss the results of the election. It is being held from 9:30 am to 1:00 pm at the D & I Suite in Homewood Apartments and also from 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm at the CHEW Office. This is a great space to talk about the results. It’s also a great way to get off social media, which can get rather overwhelming during big political events, and talk to people in a respectful and productive way!

Remember that you can get involved regardless of the election results! Activism and political participation is ongoing and not just reserved for one day of the year! Hopefully these events can generate political awareness and help you navigate these elections.

I am a sophomore at JHU majoring in international studies and history.