This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

College is great, but it comes with so many expenses: books, food, using the printer, laundry, etc. Thankfully, when it comes to makeup and beauty, you don’t have to break the bank to find your perfect look. Here are five of my favorite products. You can find them at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart — pretty much anywhere that has a beauty section. 

Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse

I’ve been using this foundation for about three years. It’s a light mousse foundation that blends into your skin seamlessly. Apply it with a foundation brush over problem areas (breakouts, red areas, dark circles, etc.), then apply your concealer and powder. I was using a Clinique foundation before I started using this one, and I like this one much better. The Clinique was expensive, heavy, and had a strange reddish tint that wouldn’t have matched anyone’s complexion. This foundation comes in all shades, so it is easy to find the one that matches your skin tone. It is hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, and fragrance free.

Cost: $9.79 at walgreens.com

Neutrogena SkinClearing Mineral Powder

This powder provides a smooth, matte finish to your face, eliminating shine and covering up blemishes. I recommend using this with a powder brush instead of the provided applicator. The applicator can be used for blending makeup, though. As an added bonus, it helps treat blemishes while covering them up. I actually feel like I break out less when I wear makeup, as opposed to when I go for a while without wearing it. Neutrogena is also hypoallergenic, so it’s perfect for sensitive skin.

Cost: $13.79 at walgreens.com

Maybelline Ultra Liner

A favorite among the women in my family, this liquid eyeliner is bold and long-lasting. I’ve technically been using this eyeliner my entire life, since it was the kind that my mom used on me for my dance recitals when I was younger. My cousin and best friend, both beauty school graduates, also highly recommend it. I have tried dozens of liquid eyeliners, and this is my favorite drugstore kind (my favorite of all time is Kat Von D’s Tattoo Liner in Trooper, but at $18 a pen, it’s not exactly kind to the wallets of college girls). I use this liner any time I do my makeup, whether it’s a casual cat eye for class or a dramatic wing for a party.

Cost: $7.79 at walgreens.com

Maybelline Eye Studio – Spirited Sands

I love this palette so much, I used it for my prom makeup. Yeah, while other girls were spending hundreds on their “designer” makeup jobs, I spent a grand total of $0, since I did my makeup myself, and I had the best makeup there (in my humble opinion). But seriously, this palette looks great with any eye color. The other palettes in this line are great too, so check them out!

Cost: $9.49 at Walgreens (link to other palettes here)

CoverGirl Lash Blast

I love this entire line of mascaras, especially Fusion. What sets these mascaras apart are the wands themselves. The mascara itself doesn’t matter, and what they charge you for is the design of the wand/brush. This line has pointy bristles that really pull your lashes up and out. I’ve tried several different expensive mascaras, such as “Yes, They’re Real” and “Bad Gal Lash” by Benefit, and Diorshow by Dior, and I prefer Lash Blast. It’s best for every day use while being affordable. 

Cost: $6.99 at walgreens.com

I'm a sophomore at Johns Hopkins University studying Molecular and Cellular Biology. I love video games and beauty, and I write about things like makeup and fashion for Her Campus.