ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Baltimore City Farmers’ Market & Bazaar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

The Baltimore Farmers’ Market hunkers beneath an overpass, the roar of the vehicles overhead shakes the bridge with the fierceness of thunder. But the noise fades into chatter as hundreds of people bustle about. It’s a gathering place for young and old, conservative and liberal. Families push strollers loaded with fruit, their children tottle behind with sticky grins. Elderly couples hold hands as they peer at the buckets of salad greens, and hipsters with their man buns fawn over tea tree oils and recycled totes. 

But it isn’t all vegetables and fruits. The “Deliciously Dangerous” bakery tempts visitors with their delectable pies, while a few stalls down the aroma of fresh donuts sweetens the air. Coffee shops vie for attention, promising free samples. My favorite was “Café Latte Da,” run by a couple who combine their passion for coffee with their love of dogs. The house blend is named “Lola” after their own pooch, and other flavors are “Beagle Blueberry,” “Poodle Marshmallow,” and “Golden Retriever Caramel Pecan.” Five percent of your order goes to nearby animal shelters, and the owners even give customers a free cup if they donate pet supplies!

Aside from the treats and sweets, many vendors sell an array of salad mixes, squashes, and watermelons. So how do you pick? Most of the produce is priced by the pound, especially apples and salad greens. Yet some stalls offer deals like two zucchinis for $3. When you break it down, $1.50 per piece doesn’t seem like a steal, especially since you could get the same thing at Giant – without being jostled around on the Circulator for half an hour. Yet the appeal behind spending $7 for a handful of grapes is that this is organicproduce sourced in the backyard of Baltimore. It is fresher fruit at the price of normal, pesticide-afflicted goods. 

Even if spinach or fresh baked bread isn’t on your shopping list, the Baltimore Farmers’ Market is a must-see for the Hopkins student. The weekly event showcases the city’s artisans and farmers, offering a view of lives different from the ones we are pursuing. At the very least, it’s a good excuse to get outside in the sun and enjoy some rich, delicious food – including an entire booth dedicated to vegan mushroom dishes. 

An aspiring writer with a love of cats, fitness, and chocolate.
I am a senior Computer Science and Cognitive Science student who is passionate about writing!